This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Watch Dogs on PC still amazing graphically.

#11ShebeskiiPosted 4/10/2014 5:06:14 PM(edited)
LOD of AO and lighting are completely in their own tier. No game does this. Geometry is pretty top class too.

The whole look of the game is very realistic. Lighting is complex and very much replicates real scene lighting.

Crude eye syndrome for gamers is when they need copious amounts of reflections, high res textures and parallax to make a game look good.

It's why people just comment on the wet surfaces. You people can't see the elephant in the room. You're looking at the shiny **** on the table.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#12MELENTIAPosted 4/10/2014 5:03:00 PM
There's better looking gameplay videos out there, this wasn't a great "show off" video at all. I just hope the game is moddable when it comes out, the shooting and driving seem to be very weak. A great world doesn't make up for crappy gameplay no matter how you cut it.
#13ShebeskiiPosted 4/10/2014 5:22:37 PM(edited)
MELENTIA posted...
There's better looking gameplay videos out there, this wasn't a great "show off" video at all. I just hope the game is moddable when it comes out, the shooting and driving seem to be very weak. A great world doesn't make up for crappy gameplay no matter how you cut it.

I thought it was the most impressive footage of the game to date, and Nvidia and the developer felt so as well.

Likely because we all have an eye for detail and don't suffer from an amateurish pleasure in reflections, textures and parallax.

An analogy would be someone listening to a progressive band with a high number of instrumentation, or an orchestra, to keep it simple and relatable. Instead of listening to all of the instruments equally to see the whole "picture", you instead focus too much on the violin and piano lines, ignoring the complex horn, bass and percussion arrangements. You tunnel vision or filter your perception of the piece to such a degree that you're not even hearing it for what it is.

It's why most Crysis graphics mods and many Skyrim mods look like utter dog balls. They didn't release the game like that because it looks awful. But to the crude eye, many of those mods that emphasis specific catchy aspects of the scene look better, but end up being unrealistic and amateurish in their representation of a scene, especially with lighting.

Another example of this would be bloom. Most people know how much bloom sucks, as its a visual trick. It looks better to a very crude eye. As you become more discerning you realize how awful it is. The same thing happens again with respect to reflections and textures. People get stuck on looking at surfaces and models for graphics instead of the general lighting of a scene, much like that same person missing the bass, horn and percussion arrangements.

Yeah, the piece isn't in your face with the violin. It doesn't mean it isn't impressive as a complete arrangement.

What I'm saying is: the only way someone could say this looks marginally better than a 2-3 year old game, or doesn't look very impressive in general, is if they're doing some significant filtering of the scene for specific graphical effects, mainly textures, reflections and models, none of which this is especially strong in, but not weak either.

It also doesn't emphasis dark shadows. Dark shadows just plain aren't realistic, and ruin the atmosphere of a day time scene. It causes the eye to be drawn to empty, pointless spaces, and the world just doesn't look like that. Again, this game is missing that usual cheap, crappy trick (which ironically, mods tend to emphasize), so people say it's nothing impressive.

The reflections are the least impressive aspect of these scenes, even though they're still great. The AO steals the show completely, if you know what you're looking at. Otherwise the typical gamers eyes see a very natural and incredibly rendered scene, notice nothing unusual because it's just -that natural- and are only drawn to, and notice, the usual graphical bling.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#14johnny_payPosted 4/10/2014 7:03:20 PM
Look at how his jacket blows in the wind
#15Surprise_CactusPosted 4/10/2014 7:15:19 PM
Shebeskii in action, defending Nvidia GameWorks's honor
---
The Windmill the Second is not just for show!
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9106/windmill2ndshl.jpg
#16pitt12177Posted 4/10/2014 7:17:18 PM
I have it on 1080 on an IPS screen and it looks slightly better than GTA 5 so I don't know what people are comparing things to. I know Youtube downscales but Metro is far superior.
#17SlaynPosted 4/10/2014 7:26:41 PM
So yeah, I am very impressed by this game. Not only is the gameplay awesome, but the graphics are quite appealing as well. I don't see how you all can't be impressed. Sure it doesn't use some crazy texture pack and isn't full of bloom, but it has really cool what I would call "special effects". It just looks so realistic and awesome.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#18Abiz_Posted 4/10/2014 7:48:54 PM
The way the grass and trees are moving is amazing. I know other games do that but they do it horribly. Also the tree shadows so detailed and moving because of the wind.... You people miss the details... At 0:42 Look at the shadow on the road and the reflection amazing. Around 1:01 the way the shadow from the tree moves... I have sleeping dogs also. Nice looking game, but it's not competitive with this at all. Only thing I do not like is the lens flare...
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#19myztikricePosted 4/10/2014 8:09:06 PM(edited)
Look at the building in the background shimmering at 1:41 while they talk about their TXAA combating shimmering.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#20wheepitupPosted 4/10/2014 8:19:35 PM
pitt12177 posted...
I have it on 1080 on an IPS screen and it looks slightly better than GTA 5 so I don't know what people are comparing things to. I know Youtube downscales but Metro is far superior.

Metro is superior? Metro is a corridor shooter ~facepalm~
---
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/decayedmatter | TwitchTV - http://www.twitch.tv/hauntedkrist | Origin of my username - http://youtu.be/ORKJHSPEk04?t=1m10s