This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it a good time to get a gaming laptop?

#11SythisTaruPosted 4/10/2014 4:35:02 PM
I used an Asus g73 for 2 years as my MAIN computer. And I do graphic design in 3ds Max/Maya, use Pro Tools, game a ton, etc...I never had any problems. I switched to a desktop so I had more upgrade space and more slots, but for the size and cost, that laptop was a really good buy for me.
#12Dracovian(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 5:42:04 PM
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
Dracovian posted...
I know how everyone says you can get a desktop for the same price and perform better but it is simply not true.

lmao are you serious

Yes. The monitor, keyboard and OS add like $350-400 to the budget easily. I strongly doubt that a $1000 desktop that has to make room for those will beat a $1000 gaming laptop.
---
"It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what." - Dr. House
#13ModernFOXXPosted 4/10/2014 5:52:25 PM
Dracovian posted...
Dracovian posted...
I know how everyone says you can get a desktop for the same price and perform better but it is simply not true.

lmao are you serious

Yes. The monitor, keyboard and OS add like $350-400 to the budget easily. I strongly doubt that a $1000 desktop that has to make room for those will beat a $1000 gaming laptop.

lol this is awkward

Desktop with monitor, mouse, keyboard, and OS: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DonovanR11/saved/3KIo

Best laptop off Xoticpc: http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-dominatorpro1039-p-6939.html?wconfigure=yes

Spoiler alert, desktop is better
---
i5-4670K | EVGA SC GTX 780 3GB | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB | Asus Z87-K ATX | Corsair 650W | Toshiba 3TB
#14Dracovian(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 5:58:52 PM
ModernFOXX posted...
Dracovian posted...
Dracovian posted...

lmao are you serious

lol this is awkward

Desktop with monitor, mouse, keyboard, and OS: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DonovanR11/saved/3KIo

Best laptop off Xoticpc: http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-dominatorpro1039-p-6939.html?wconfigure=yes

What? I've always been talking about a $1000 budget. With unlimited money a desktop is obviously better. Please read before replying.
---
"It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what." - Dr. House
#15ModernFOXXPosted 4/10/2014 6:02:07 PM
Dracovian posted...
ModernFOXX posted...
Dracovian posted...
Dracovian posted...

lmao are you serious

lol this is awkward

What? I've always been talking about a $1000 budget. With unlimited money a desktop is obviously better. Please read before replying.

even compared to a laptop thats $2000 more its STILL better is my point. hold up i'll build one for $1000
---
i5-4670K | EVGA SC GTX 780 3GB | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB | Asus Z87-K ATX | Corsair 650W | Toshiba 3TB
#16ModernFOXXPosted 4/10/2014 6:23:51 PM
Here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3pI2I
---
#17ArkonBladePosted 4/10/2014 6:25:45 PM
Dracovian posted...
Or is some new upgrade coming soon that will cause prices of current ones to drop? I want to spend around $1100 and hopefully run modern games in high settings.

yeah you can get a pretty good gaming laptop for that price but like others will tell you.

You can build a beast of a gaming PC with that $1100 that will run games way better then any laptop you buy.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#18QuestofChosenPosted 4/10/2014 6:29:42 PM
ArkonBlade posted...
Dracovian posted...
Or is some new upgrade coming soon that will cause prices of current ones to drop? I want to spend around $1100 and hopefully run modern games in high settings.

yeah you can get a pretty good gaming laptop for that price but like others will tell you.

You can build a beast of a gaming PC with that $1100 that will run games way better then any laptop you buy.

Not way better. As the poster above you showed $1000 can get you a GTX 750 and an core i3. $100 more will get you a r9 270x. The 860m in that laptop is equivalent to a desktop 750 ti.
---
Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
#19ModernFOXXPosted 4/10/2014 6:37:08 PM(edited)
QuestofChosen posted...
ArkonBlade posted...
Dracovian posted...

Not way better. As the poster above you showed $1000 can get you a GTX 750 and an core i3. $100 more will get you a r9 270x. The 860m in that laptop is equivalent to a desktop 750 ti.

yea, but if ya just put in 100 or 200 more it'd be better. Plus upgrading is possible in desktops, not at all laptops.So when that laptop is outdated, its done and you gotta drop another 1 grand or more on a new one. Desktop doesn't have that problem

EDIT: Plus i kept it UNDER 1 grand. I could've put a 750 ti and it'd be only slightly over 1 grand
---
#20QuestofChosenPosted 4/10/2014 6:49:54 PM(edited)
ModernFOXX posted...
QuestofChosen posted...
ArkonBlade posted...
Dracovian posted...

yea, but if ya just put in 100 or 200 more it'd be better. Plus upgrading is possible in desktops, not at all laptops.So when that laptop is outdated, its done and you gotta drop another 1 grand or more on a new one. Desktop doesn't have that problem

EDIT: Plus i kept it UNDER 1 grand. I could've put a 750 ti and it'd be only slightly over 1 grand

I'm not saying that laptops are better. I'm just trying to point out that laptops are not that expensive as people like to exaggerate. $1000 will get you a nice laptop or desktop. The performance difference won't be that big as people like to say. Laptops do start to become poor value in the $1600 range like $2000 desktops.
---
Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds