This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good laptop for school use?

#1EpicKingdom_Posted 4/10/2014 7:14:25 PM(edited)
I don't know much about laptops or even the types of them. (Chromebook? Notebook?). All I know is that I would prefer 15+ inch screen, 6GB of RAM minimum, 500GB minimum, and a quad core around 2Ghz with Windows 8. Any recommendations? This will only be used for school. Web browsing & research + writing papers. Aside from that maybe some Youtube & social media.

Any recommendations to help get my search started?

---
You're not Master Race until the Gaben reveals himself before you. ALL of himself. https://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#2drafterowarPosted 4/10/2014 7:17:32 PM
Get an Alienware. Good for schoolwork and guaranteed to last a long time.
---
"Are you AC or.....DC?"
#3DoramiPosted 4/10/2014 7:21:45 PM
15" laptops are not very good for school, unless you are in a major that requires entering a lot of numbers (a number pad). The vast majority of 15" laptops of this generation include a number pad. This pushes the alphanumeric portion and the touchpad off the center of the screen. This makes them quite annoying for writing papers and coding.

Quad core is only good if you're doing CPU intensive tasks, which web browsing, research, and writing papers are not. You might benefit from one if you're in an engineering major that uses Matlab or requires you to compile programs. For general research and paper writing, they're not useful. All they do is make you drain your battery more quickly.

You're asking for a laptop that should be portable, sturdy, and with good battery life. But your specific criteria do not match these needs. Do you still insist on the specs criteria you listed?
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#4EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 7:32:39 PM
Dorami posted...
15" laptops are not very good for school, unless you are in a major that requires entering a lot of numbers (a number pad). The vast majority of 15" laptops of this generation include a number pad. This pushes the alphanumeric portion and the touchpad off the center of the screen. This makes them quite annoying for writing papers and coding.

Quad core is only good if you're doing CPU intensive tasks, which web browsing, research, and writing papers are not. You might benefit from one if you're in an engineering major that uses Matlab or requires you to compile programs. For general research and paper writing, they're not useful. All they do is make you drain your battery more quickly.

You're asking for a laptop that should be portable, sturdy, and with good battery life. But your specific criteria do not match these needs. Do you still insist on the specs criteria you listed?

Hmmm. I just don't want a laptop that will chug itself through start up tbh. You are definitely not wrong though.
---
You're not Master Race until the Gaben reveals himself before you. ALL of himself. https://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#5RssNGuyPosted 4/10/2014 7:39:09 PM
get a chromebook. Its very light, super quick, enough for writing papers and light browsing. You could watch videos on it. Flash drives work, mouse works. It doesn't overheat as easily and has a pretty good battery life. If samsungs or acers 11 inch is too small, go for HPs 14 inch. They are also very inexpensive compared to other laptops and the touchpad is excellent compared to others in the same price range. Only thing I wish it had was a backlit keyboard.You should do some extra research on it to decide whehter or not its the laptop for you though.
---
3ds FC - 3153-4124-1013
#6EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 8:24:59 PM(edited)
RssNGuy posted...
get a chromebook. Its very light, super quick, enough for writing papers and light browsing. You could watch videos on it. Flash drives work, mouse works. It doesn't overheat as easily and has a pretty good battery life. If samsungs or acers 11 inch is too small, go for HPs 14 inch. They are also very inexpensive compared to other laptops and the touchpad is excellent compared to others in the same price range. Only thing I wish it had was a backlit keyboard.You should do some extra research on it to decide whehter or not its the laptop for you though.

Interesting, the only thing that scares me when I look them up. Is Chrome OS? How's that? And there is this description that says

The devices are designed to be used while connected to the Internet similar to netbooks, though there are a variety of apps that can be run offline.

This part also scares me, could someone give me further explanation on this?

I have a HP Chromebook 14-q029wm available at my local Walmart. I like it's specs.

(Edit) I'm not sure if they are for me, no Microsoft word or installers? Just a computer with a web browser (Chrome)? On top of that, my internet is unreliable and I may have to be in offline mode more than I'd like.

---
#7EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 9:41:34 PM
For education! (bump).
---
#8DragnfyrPosted 4/10/2014 10:55:55 PM
Chromebooks are probably the most useless things for school. A decent tablet + keyboard dock is much better than a Chromebook.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#9SlaynPosted 4/10/2014 11:04:53 PM
Just get any regular laptop, it won't make much of a difference. All you are doing is basic stuff. I do NOT suggest a Chromebook like some people here. Get one that you can install a full range of software on. Really, you can just pick any laptop in your price range and you should be fine.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#10EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 11:17:55 PM
Slayn posted...
Just get any regular laptop, it won't make much of a difference. All you are doing is basic stuff. I do NOT suggest a Chromebook like some people here. Get one that you can install a full range of software on. Really, you can just pick any laptop in your price range and you should be fine.

Will do, gonna pick up a laptop tomorrow based on my specs in OP for around $500.
---