This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need something to sit my computer tower on....

#1EternalNetherPosted 4/12/2014 4:37:07 PM
The desk I'm using is rather small and won't hold the tower on it. In my old apartment I had it sitting on a simple blue tote to keep it off the floor. When I moved recently I made the decision to ditch the tote (very tacky) and set it on the floor by my desk. But these are hardwood floors and dust/dirt circulates relentlessly. I have to check my vents daily and I still don't feel comfortable with it.

Any suggestions? I don't want to buy an entirely new desk and I don't want to spend more than $40 on whatever I choose to get. It doesn't have to be super tall but it can't be too thick because my space is limited. My entertainment center/tv stand is nearby.
---
Steam ID/PSN ID: Solirus
Currently Playing:Infamous Second Son (PS4), FFX/X-2 HD (PS3),
#2ShubPosted 4/12/2014 4:41:21 PM
I've had my computer on hardwood floor for years with zero problem. I don't see why anyone would be worried about it, but if you are worried, just take a peek inside your case every few weeks and dust as necessary.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2014 4:44:11 PM
Shub posted...
I've had my computer on hardwood floor for years with zero problem. I don't see why anyone would be worried about it, but if you are worried, just take a peek inside your case every few weeks and dust as necessary.

I have two cats and this place is naturally dusty. The amount of fur they shed is just ridiculous.
---
#4ShubPosted 4/12/2014 4:45:42 PM
Oh. Cats. Ok, say no more. My place is a bit dusty as well but no cats.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5foodeater4Posted 4/12/2014 4:49:08 PM(edited)
Since you have pets and pet hair flying all around that hardwood floor I would definatly raise the computer, especially if you have a psu on the bottom sucking in air.

You could always buy some wood at the depot and make a small platform. Or maybe you can try by a cheapo nightstand type of thing that matches you desk if you find one and slide it in there. You dont need the computer up really high, just a few inches should do the trick.

But if you dont have the bottom mounted PSU sucking in air, you could probably keep it on the floor, just clean it out from time to time.
#6EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2014 4:51:08 PM
foodeater4 posted...
Since you have pets and pet hair flying all around that hardwood floor I would definatly raise the computer, especially if you have a psu on the bottom sucking in air.

You could always buy some wood at the depot and make a small platform. Or maybe you can try by a cheapo nightstand type of thing that matches you desk if you find one and slide it in there. You dont need the computer up really high, just a few inches should do the trick.

But if you dont have the bottom mounted PSU sucking in air, you could probably keep it on the floor, just clean it out from time to time.

I do have a bottom mounted PSU D=

TO AMAZON!

Course my PC is getting up there in years (okay it's only 3, but I built it back then as a mid-range PC so it's time) and I plan to build a new one, but until then this thing has to survive!
---
#72Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 4/12/2014 4:54:25 PM
Why don't you just vacuum your cats daily. It'll cut down on the shedding.
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#8EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2014 4:56:15 PM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...

They're not my cats. They're my roommates. I'm not able to close my door completely. They'll scratch at it and throw a fit if I try. But again, not my cats, and I want to do a lot more than just vacuum them....
---
#9ShubPosted 4/12/2014 4:56:27 PM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...

I vote for shaving them.
---
-What is best in life?
#10Xeeh_BitzPosted 4/12/2014 5:33:29 PM
I just removed my glasses while reading the title and read it as "I need someone to s*** on my computer tower"

I'm like, that's a whole new kind of kink.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant