This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good games that work on a crappy PC?

#1segagamerPosted 4/12/2014 6:47:29 PM
Hey, I'm curious about some Steam games that I could play on my lame PC.

I know it can play any Valve game ok. Portal 2 is best at mid settings. And I have 1.8 GB RAM.

Other than the Ys games, which look amazing, what games could basically any PC run?

I appreciate suggestions for Indie games, but I would like to know some good suggestions for "normal" games, no matter how old.
---
Wii U+Xbox One :)
NNID: JZimino
#2DiviDudePosted 4/12/2014 6:53:55 PM(edited)
Since you mention Valve, I'd look into any Source engine game.

In particular, I'd look into Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, Dark Messiah Might and Magic, and Zeno Clash. In that order.

(Also, you're not being very specific, so I could have easily made this list about 300x longer!)
#3ClouddxPosted 4/12/2014 7:01:01 PM
Link us your Steam account so we can see what you already have, and what titles you have played the most. It'll help us pick out some genres that you might like and prevent us from listing games you already have.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#4MarikhenPosted 4/12/2014 7:05:56 PM
Please note that this is a list of games that I've either found to be "good" or at least "initially good." I make no claims as to whether or not you, or anyone else, thinks that they are enjoyable or worth the cost.

Breath of Death VII
Cthulhu Saves the World
- These two are often bundled together and often on sale for $0.99

Torchlight
Torchlight 2
- Torchlight runs $15 to TL2's $20, but it doesn't have multiplayer, longer load times on mods, and three classes to TL2's 4. On the other hand TL2 might push your system too hard.

Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition
- If you can't stand some of the tropes in RPGs which this game embodies you might not like it.

FTL

Titan Quest (Gold, though you'll probably only ever run the Immortal Throne executable)
- Depending on just how crappy your PC is this might push it too hard.

Defense Grid: The Awakening
Paper Sorcerer
Space Pirates & Zombies

Drox Operative
- Last I checked only the core game is available through Steam. You'd have to buy the expansion through the developer's site, and I don't know how that would interact with a Steam purchase of the original game.

- These games are in the "initially good" category.
Unepic
Rogue Legacy
Sword of the Stars: The Pit
A Valley Without Wind

Valdis Story: Abyssal City
- "Metroid-vania" type game with a more "Japaese" graphics bent than many of the others out there.

- These seem to be generally considered good, but I haven't played them yet.
To the Moon
Skullgirls

I imagine there are a few seemingly "low-impact" games (by modern standards, Titan Quest wasn't particularly low-impact on release IIRC) I'm forgetting or don't know about.

If you want a better, or at least larger, list it might help if we knew what your CPU and graphics card (or GPU if you're using onboard video) were. Of course given that you say you only have 1.8GB RAM, a rather improbable number to naturally occur given that it would require using at least 3 successively smaller sticks of RAM, it's reasonable to presume you're using onboard video.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#5thatauthorPosted 4/12/2014 7:07:11 PM
DiviDude posted...
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy,

while that game is good, it';s hard to get into. it's rough around the edges, has some bad translation, and has an ad saving system. I think it does save your XP regardless of whether or not it saves your progress though. it does have an exploit where you can get XP in co-op modes while alone. it also doesn't really have a level cap I think.
---
this is a sig
#6LordSeiferPosted 4/12/2014 7:28:41 PM
important gaming specs =/= ram
---
^ this
#7Born LuckyPosted 4/12/2014 7:53:45 PM
Gothic 2
Bards Tale
Psychonauts
Monkey Island series
Broken Sword series
Neverwinter Nights 2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic I and II
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#8WygunPosted 4/12/2014 8:36:11 PM
Mount and blade: the game can be configured to run in dx7 mode, even my awful laptop can run it in that mode.

Born Lucky posted...
Gothic 2

Highly recommended, but has issues in win7/8 (theres a fan made patch though).
#9ClouddxPosted 4/12/2014 8:42:12 PM
Wygun posted...
Mount and blade: the game can be configured to run in dx7 mode, even my awful laptop can run it in that mode.

Born Lucky posted...
Gothic 2

Highly recommended, but has issues in win7/8 (theres a fan made patch though).

I actually had no problem getting it to run on W8. Didn't even have to use the fan made patch.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#10pwnater777Posted 4/12/2014 8:44:17 PM(edited)
The original Fallout games, if you can find them somewhere. I personally have a physical copy of Fallout 2, so I'm no help for that.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe