This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good games that work on a crappy PC?

#21sonic_man00Posted 4/12/2014 9:47:05 PM
If its a low-spec PC (Better than the one in my sig), It'll have no issue running Civ 5.
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.
#22MarikhenPosted 4/12/2014 10:25:03 PM
pwnater777 posted...
I believe sometime last year or 2012, with not much word at all about when they'll be re-added.

It makes me sad.

I don't know about Steam, but GOG took Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics down around November of last year. IIRC it was due to some issues with the publisher that affected all digital retail outlets and not just GOG. They also made it available for free for the last few days they had the right to distribute it.

jokujokujoku posted...
The expansion released on Steam in the beginning of March, two weeks after the base game's release.

Always nice to see someone other than me recommend a Soldak game.

Good to hear that.

Also, that reminds me that I forgot to recommend Din's Curse under the "haven't played but heard it's good/might be worth playing" section.

sonic_man00 posted...
If its a low-spec PC (Better than the one in my sig), It'll have no issue running Civ 5.

In all honesty the "1.8GB" comment strongly suggests to me that your machine would be a sizable improvement over the OP's. Many if not most motherboards with onboard GPUs have been shipping with at least a small amount of dedicated RAM, 256MB in the case of my 4.5+ year old ASRock 790-based board, and I don't believe PCs have shipped with less than 4GB RAM in at least 5 years.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's PC only had a single-core CPU or a dual-core like AMD's Athlon 64 x2s. It's possible that it could have a quad-core in it, the first generation Phenoms were shipped out as early as 2007 after all, but I don't think that it's likely.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#23WygunPosted 4/12/2014 10:46:30 PM
^ in fact, laptops with the amd vision (e-1200 and the like) cpus often come with only 2gb ram. A friend of mine got the 2013 model and had just that much (and yes, they suck royally). Netbooks do too and some ThinkPads.
#24sonic_man00Posted 4/12/2014 10:50:08 PM
Marikhen posted...
pwnater777 posted...
I believe sometime last year or 2012, with not much word at all about when they'll be re-added.

It makes me sad.

I don't know about Steam, but GOG took Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics down around November of last year. IIRC it was due to some issues with the publisher that affected all digital retail outlets and not just GOG. They also made it available for free for the last few days they had the right to distribute it.

jokujokujoku posted...
The expansion released on Steam in the beginning of March, two weeks after the base game's release.

Always nice to see someone other than me recommend a Soldak game.

Good to hear that.

Also, that reminds me that I forgot to recommend Din's Curse under the "haven't played but heard it's good/might be worth playing" section.

sonic_man00 posted...

In all honesty the "1.8GB" comment strongly suggests to me that your machine would be a sizable improvement over the OP's. Many if not most motherboards with onboard GPUs have been shipping with at least a small amount of dedicated RAM, 256MB in the case of my 4.5+ year old ASRock 790-based board, and I don't believe PCs have shipped with less than 4GB RAM in at least 5 years.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's PC only had a single-core CPU or a dual-core like AMD's Athlon 64 x2s. It's possible that it could have a quad-core in it, the first generation Phenoms were shipped out as early as 2007 after all, but I don't think that it's likely.

Oh. Its still a good try for low spec PCs like mine.
---
#25MarikhenPosted 4/12/2014 11:00:13 PM
Wygun posted...
^ in fact, laptops with the amd vision (e-1200 and the like) cpus often come with only 2gb ram. A friend of mine got the 2013 model and had just that much (and yes, they suck royally). Netbooks do too and some ThinkPads.

None of which, however, are "PCs." ;-)

On a more serious note I originally had a (desktops) in there somewhere to note that by PCs I was referring solely to them. :-/
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#26arleasPosted 4/13/2014 2:32:27 AM
Re: Fallout games on steam

I just looked and found this:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/38400/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/38410/

So if you can see that and there's an "add to cart" link, then yes, they're back up. The only reason they were ever taken down was because they had a minor dispute over the copyright.... I think prior to 2012 the old Fallout games were still under someone else's control and then after that Bethesda took control of the rights...or something like that.

I know that the day before they were taken off of GOG they were giving the game out for free rather than let it go completely. They're not on GOG any more though...I guess the only reason why they went back up on steam is because steam is already distributing a ton of Bethesda's games.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#27segagamer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 6:41:34 AM
Found my computer specs! I actually have more RAM than I thought.

Windows 8.1 Pro

AMD E-350 Processor 1.60 GHz

6.00 GB (5.72 GB Usable)

64-Bit Operating System, x64 based processor
---
Wii U+Xbox One :)
NNID: JZimino
#28sonic_man00Posted 4/13/2014 11:15:46 AM
segagamer posted...

Windows 8.1 Pro

6.00 GB (5.72 GB Usable)

Try the Civ 5 demo. You'll be able to at least run it at low.
---
#29sonic_man00Posted 4/13/2014 11:20:19 AM
segagamer posted...

Windows 8.1 Pro

6.00 GB (5.72 GB Usable)

While your at it, Here's a list.

Bastion (no problem)
Titan Quest (some lag, Not much)
Battlefield 2 (Max, You could even add some bloom lighting through a unofficial program)
---
#30SoulreaperX112Posted 4/13/2014 12:13:19 PM
I know you mentioned games for steam, however you should check out gog.com. It has large library of classic games and some new ones. They are all DRM free(meaning you don't need a service like steam to run them) but you can add them to your steam library as a non steam game.

You can check out system shock 2(its on steam as well) which is the predecessor of the bio shock series. The modding community has been able to bring some life back into it as well. The Dues Ex games(older) are also a good place to look. Also the original fallout games are worth looking into.

You said you can look into Killing Floor which I think requires similar specs to source games(runs on unreal engine though). Terraria is another game to look into(there is a huge amount of content since I last played).