This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good games that work on a crappy PC?

#31Hyman_MinskyPosted 4/13/2014 3:04:42 PM
deus ex 1 is your best bet and will open your eyes to whats really happening in the world

all their references are real and are actually happening at the time it was published 15 years ago or so
---
huehuehuehuehuheheuheuhuehue
--Angerfist
#32JKatarnPosted 4/13/2014 4:12:42 PM
SoulreaperX112 posted...
I know you mentioned games for steam, however you should check out gog.com. It has large library of classic games and some new ones. They are all DRM free(meaning you don't need a service like steam to run them) but you can add them to your steam library as a non steam game.

You can check out system shock 2(its on steam as well) which is the predecessor of the bio shock series. The modding community has been able to bring some life back into it as well. The Dues Ex games(older) are also a good place to look. Also the original fallout games are worth looking into.

You said you can look into Killing Floor which I think requires similar specs to source games(runs on unreal engine though). Terraria is another game to look into(there is a huge amount of content since I last played).

TC will likely run into problems running the more demanding games on offer at GoG.com due to his slower CPU and the fact that the DOSBox emulator GoG employs for their DOS titles requires decent CPU muscle to play the more complex DOS games.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#33segagamer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 4:18:36 PM
JKatarn posted...
SoulreaperX112 posted...
I know you mentioned games for steam, however you should check out gog.com. It has large library of classic games and some new ones. They are all DRM free(meaning you don't need a service like steam to run them) but you can add them to your steam library as a non steam game.

You can check out system shock 2(its on steam as well) which is the predecessor of the bio shock series. The modding community has been able to bring some life back into it as well. The Dues Ex games(older) are also a good place to look. Also the original fallout games are worth looking into.

You said you can look into Killing Floor which I think requires similar specs to source games(runs on unreal engine though). Terraria is another game to look into(there is a huge amount of content since I last played).

TC will likely run into problems running the more demanding games on offer at GoG.com due to his slower CPU and the fact that the DOSBox emulator GoG employs for their DOS titles requires decent CPU muscle to play the more complex DOS games.

Yes, on a side note, I downloaded the Doom games on Steam, and they run on DosBox for some reason. They won't work on Steam.
---
Wii U+Xbox One :)
NNID: JZimino
#34ShubPosted 4/13/2014 4:20:03 PM
segagamer posted...
Yes, on a side note, I downloaded the Doom games on Steam, and they run on DosBox for some reason. They won't work on Steam.

That's pretty much standard operating procedure for Steam when they sell you old games. Now what do you mean by "they won't work on Steam"?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#35segagamer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 4:22:46 PM
Shub posted...
segagamer posted...

That's pretty much standard operating procedure for Steam when they sell you old games. Now what do you mean by "they won't work on Steam"?

DosBox runs, and then nothing happens. Doom goes to Title screen and same with Doom II. Wolfenstein is stuck on DosBox startup.
---
Wii U+Xbox One :)
NNID: JZimino
#36sonic_man00Posted 4/13/2014 4:24:06 PM
segagamer posted...
Shub posted...
segagamer posted...

DosBox runs, and then nothing happens. Doom goes to Title screen and same with Doom II. Wolfenstein is stuck on DosBox startup.

Hm. If your using the GOG version, Don't. Use the downloaded version. If you are, Make sure its updated.
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.
#37ShubPosted 4/13/2014 4:39:36 PM
Eh, forget DOSBox then. What Steam gave you is all the official game data you need, go grab yourself a source port of the game (ZDoom is a popular one) and use that to play the game.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#38Psycho_PoodlePosted 4/13/2014 7:11:43 PM(edited)
FTL Faster Than Light
Deus Ex
---
"Any time you tell the player how to play, you've lost me."
-Warren Spector, creator of Deus Ex
#39Jprime666Posted 4/13/2014 7:16:20 PM
cave story
---
Indeed! Verily, I say... Ergo!
#40Blobs_Posted 4/13/2014 7:21:51 PM
Jprime666 posted...
cave story