This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for help on getting a new gaming laptop!

#21Loserman15Posted 4/13/2014 12:24:44 PM
To me, 15% is quite a bit. If money isn't much of an object, I say go for it.
#222Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 4/13/2014 12:45:18 PM
17"+ laptops are a real pain to own. I would just stick to ~15"
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#23nimatoda666(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 1:07:53 PM
Yes money is not really an object although I appreciate the analysis and I would agree with you in a lot of scenarios.

So is there really any other laptop superior to the sager? After fiddling with it I upgraded the graphics card for a small fee and got a cooling upgrade so that could really make it even better :)
---
We all share the miracle of Life, so ENJOY IT! The Book of Mormon changed my life, i believe it will change yours. Pray.Share love.Cry.Think.Laugh. LDS.org!
#24SilentHawk29Posted 4/13/2014 1:56:05 PM
Xoticpc's cooling upgrades aren't worth it from what I've seen. Just when you get it, repaste the GPU right away and use some high heat reflective tape, and tape up any gaps between the vents and the fans.

Also, I bet your non-gaming laptop, since you can't play games on laptops obviously, will outperform TimePharoh's desktop.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#252Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 4/13/2014 2:18:47 PM
nimatoda666 posted...
Yes money is not really an object although I appreciate the analysis and I would agree with you in a lot of scenarios.

So is there really any other laptop superior to the sager? After fiddling with it I upgraded the graphics card for a small fee and got a cooling upgrade so that could really make it even better :)

What did you upgrade to for the graphics card?
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#26QuestofChosenPosted 4/13/2014 2:22:02 PM
nimatoda666 posted...

The K3100M? That is actually a downgrade. A big one.
---
Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
#27CardigansFanPosted 4/13/2014 2:47:28 PM(edited)
QuestofChosen posted...

This. You don't need a workstation card for a gaming computer.

Don't bother with the copper cooling upgrade - it's literally just taking those tiny cheapo stick-on heatsinks and slapping them wherever possible, which can actually be detrimental if there's not enough airflow. If you really want to, buy a set of those heatsinks yourself for $5-10 and go crazy.

Also, the laptop in that original link is a somewhat-customized one; if you want better pricing/flexibility (like buying your own mSATA SSD for cheaper), then go with one of these, depending on whether you prefer 15" or 17":
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8258-clevo-p157sma-p-6988.html
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8298-clevo-p177sma-p-6983.html

Just get the 4810MQ, 880M, 16GB of RAM, and use whatever else on getting an SSD.

And XoticPC is probably one of the best place to buy from as well; if they had the 4K screen option I wanted for mine, I would have easily picked them over Eurocom.
---
'93 Saturn SL2 * Nexus 5 * NX300
Clevo W230SS 4K/QHD+
#28nimatoda666(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 2:55:52 PM
QuestofChosen posted...
nimatoda666 posted...

Oh wow thank you guys, see this is why i ask advice haha so if i go with the original one is there any upgrades i should do that will help increase performance or should i just stick with the default 1919 one?
---
We all share the miracle of Life, so ENJOY IT! The Book of Mormon changed my life, i believe it will change yours. Pray.Share love.Cry.Think.Laugh. LDS.org!
#29nimatoda666(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 3:00:43 PM
Like upgrading the hard drive or getting a second hard drive (is that just overkill and a waste of money?) Also for the notebook coolers are those a waste of money as well?

Sorry for all the questions, i just really want to get this right!

Here is the configuration link i would love any feedback on what you guys' would personally do.
---
#30CardigansFanPosted 4/13/2014 3:10:06 PM(edited)
If you're going to go with the one in the first link, do the following:
-Remove the mSATA drive they include for $75, and get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RKT4/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RHMO/
(literally takes a minute to install yourself)
-Save $25 and go with the standard DVD burner, unless you intend on buying Blu-Ray playback software (since it won't come with any and you NEED paid software to play Blu-Ray's)
-Buy a copy of Windows 8.1 somewhere (assuming you don't have a key already), since it doesn't come with an OS

And that all leaves you with an extra mSATA and HDD slot if you ever need to expand storage.

And again, that's assuming you want the 15" version, since there's also a 17" version of that same laptop.
---
'93 Saturn SL2 * Nexus 5 * NX300
Clevo W230SS 4K/QHD+