This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for help on getting a new gaming laptop!

#31nimatoda666(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 3:15:26 PM
CardigansFan posted...
If you're going to go with the one in the first link, do the following:
-Remove the mSATA drive they include for $75, and get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RKT4/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RHMO/
(literally takes a minute to install yourself)
-Save $25 and go with the standard DVD burner, unless you intend on buying Blu-Ray playback software (since it won't come with any and you NEED paid software to play Blu-Ray's)
-Buy a copy of Windows 8.1 somewhere (assuming you don't have a key already), since it doesn't come with an OS

And that all leaves you with an extra mSATA and HDD slot if you ever need to expand storage.

And again, that's assuming you want the 15" version, since there's also a 17" version of that same laptop.

Thanks again, i do prefer the 15'' to the 17'' that is awesome. Any other upgrades i should look at?
---
We all share the miracle of Life, so ENJOY IT! The Book of Mormon changed my life, i believe it will change yours. Pray.Share love.Cry.Think.Laugh. LDS.org!
#32CardigansFanPosted 4/13/2014 3:33:56 PM
nimatoda666 posted...
Any other upgrades i should look at?

Not that I can think of, they already upgraded the wireless card to a better one as well.
---
'93 Saturn SL2 * Nexus 5 * NX300
Clevo W230SS 4K/QHD+
#33Loserman15Posted 4/13/2014 3:35:26 PM
If money isn't something to be worried about, Alienware has dual GTX880m's. for like 3500 dollars. Hahaha.
#34SilentHawk29Posted 4/13/2014 3:54:54 PM
nimatoda666 posted...
Also for the notebook coolers are those a waste of money as well?

Yes. If your thermal paste is good and vents aren't clogged with dust, you really won't see any gains outside of maybe a degree or two. They're more for additional USB ports and ergonomics.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#35nimatoda666(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 4:55:56 PM
Loserman15 posted...
If money isn't something to be worried about, Alienware has dual GTX880m's. for like 3500 dollars. Hahaha.

Haha well at that price I think the performance would have to be amazing haha. Thanks for all the help I am pretty sure this is what I'm going with :)
---
We all share the miracle of Life, so ENJOY IT! The Book of Mormon changed my life, i believe it will change yours. Pray.Share love.Cry.Think.Laugh. LDS.org!
#36Loserman15Posted 4/13/2014 5:30:55 PM
Enjoy! It's irrelevant but I wanted to mention I was raised LDS until I was 16. Good church. :) Have fun!!
#37nimatoda666(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 5:37:40 PM
Loserman15 posted...
Enjoy! It's irrelevant but I wanted to mention I was raised LDS until I was 16. Good church. :) Have fun!!

Oh wow that isnt irrelevant that is sweet! My two best friends are on their missions right now, one in Houston texas and the other is serving in salt lake temple square.

Thanks again for all of your help :)
---