This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you pronounce 16:9, 1920x1080, 1280x720, 780Ti, 2500k ect. ?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How do you pronounce 16:9, 1920x1080, 1280x720, 780Ti, 2500k ect. ?
1 year ago#31
I leave out the x. So, 640x480 => six fourty, four eighty. 16:9 -> sixteen, nine. 2500k ==> two-point-five megs (yes, I know that's inaccurate), or twenty-five hundred kilobytes.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
1 year ago#32
sixteen by nine is the "correct" way.

"correct" being... doesn't matter if its literally correct... its what everyone says.

now whats odd is

4:3 you just say FOUR THREE

or 1.78:1 is one point seven eight to one
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
1 year ago#33
fakewars posted...
I'm not an english speaker and I have quite a bit of difficulty pronouncing numbers in english. I don't really know how to pronounce those words correctly. I never actually read numbers in english, but if I have to I would pronounce them this way.

16:9 - Sixteen nine
1920x1080 - nineteen ex ten eighty
1280x720 - twelve eighty ex seven twenty
780Ti - seven eighty ti-ai
2500k - twenty five hundreds ke

If you were speaking to someone in english and said "sixteen nine" they would know what you're talking about. All these people stating that "to" or "by" HAVE to be in there are just trying to be super grammatically correct about it, even though it's lingo. I have literally NEVER heard a human being say "sixteen by nine" or "four to three" when talking about screen ratios. It's four:three. Sixteen:nine. It's like saying "ten eighty" and not having to expressly state "one-thousand nine-hundred twenty pixels by one-thousand eighty pixels, progressively scanned" because "1080" tells you everything you need to know. Just like the words "sixteen nine" mean a ratio of 16 to 9, and explain the dimensions of a picture. All of the detail is already inherent in the concept of what you're talking about, you just need to signify which of the 4 or 5 possible outcomes of this ratio or resolution you are speaking to.

Quite literally, as long as the bare minimum numerical value is given, you can easily understand it, because it is lingo, it is vernacular used around people that know what they mean. When I say, "Dude, Sleeping Beauty in ten eighty, two five five is just gorgeous," the listener automatically knows A.) I'm talking about something (film, video game, etc) on a screen, B.) "Ten eighty" are numbers that correspond or are similar to "1080" which is a numerical value given at the tail end of a certain resolution, and seeing as how I am talking about resolutions, the "P" is also implied, C.) Since I'm talking about the picture, "Two five five" is a second set of numerical values that represent picture quality, and since the resolution is in 1080, by jove, I must now be talking about the aspect ratio, which in this case is 2.55:1, the original resolution of Sleeping Beauty; the first movie in history to use said ratio.

Nobody is going to look at you and go, "Ten eighty? Ten eighty what? It's a movie about ten guys that fight eighty guys and win? Derp?" These are very well known terms, even more so in the audio-visual crowd where these terms actually matter to people.

If you're really having a hard time with the aspect ratios, and don't know what to do with the colon, just say "wide screen" and ignore the numbers, it means the same thing. "Full screen" is 4:3 aspect, and "super wide" is the Sleeping Beauty aspect, 2.55:1. Anyone that tells you that "by" or "to" or "ex" or anything needs to be pronounced has literally no idea wtf they are talking about.

I'm actually kind of shocked that people are saying this here. I'd wager money that not even 1/4 of you walk around talking to your friends like, "Dude, I played on this new monitor with a minimum of three-thousand four-hundred eighty by two-thousand one-hundred sixty pixels and it was sick" because you JUST SAY 4K. It gives you all the info you need. Stop lying to the guy. Jeeze.
---
psn - wokeupinapanic
1 year ago#34
If you were speaking to someone in english and said "sixteen nine" they would know what you're talking about. All these people stating that "to" or "by" HAVE to be in there are just trying to be super grammatically correct about it, even though it's lingo. I have literally NEVER heard a human being say "sixteen by nine" or "four to three" when talking about screen ratios. It's four:three. Sixteen:nine.

I've never heard anyone in my life say SIXTEEN NINE

if you said that to me I'd have literally no clue what you were talking about, unless we're figuring it out by context then you could say whatever you wanted and I'd probably figure it out based on context.
---
1 year ago#35
Killah Priest posted...
If you were speaking to someone in english and said "sixteen nine" they would know what you're talking about. All these people stating that "to" or "by" HAVE to be in there are just trying to be super grammatically correct about it, even though it's lingo. I have literally NEVER heard a human being say "sixteen by nine" or "four to three" when talking about screen ratios. It's four:three. Sixteen:nine.

I've never heard anyone in my life say SIXTEEN NINE

if you said that to me I'd have literally no clue what you were talking about, unless we're figuring it out by context then you could say whatever you wanted and I'd probably figure it out based on context.

I usually just say the numbers when talking about a ratio.

It's a Four, Three ratio. It's just easier to say, and of course it's all about context. If you just walk up to someone and ask them if they like four-three or sixteen-nine better, they'd be like.. "get away from me, creep!"
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
1 year ago#36
I usually just say the numbers when talking about a ratio.

It's a Four, Three ratio. It's just easier to say, and of course it's all about context. If you just walk up to someone and ask them if they like four-three or sixteen-nine better, they'd be like.. "get away from me, creep!"

I already pointed out above that 4:3 is said FOUR THREE, that one is common usage I've never heard anyone say FOUR BY THREE

but for 16:9 or 16:10, always sixteen by nine or sixteen by ten, no "sixteen nine, sixteen to nine, etc..."

Don't get me wrong tho you can say whatever you want... I mean people try to call the SNES SNESS as opposed to S N E S and some people say SATA as a word and I say S A T A.

Just saying common usage based on my area and associates.
---
1 year ago#37
i never understood these things so i just visually see these numbers.
---
I once saw a Flame Orb Scizor
1 year ago#38
AnatomyHorror posted...
16 by 9
1920 by 1080
1280 by 720
780 Tee-Eye
2500 Kay

This. Anything else is wrong.
1 year ago#39
fakewars posted...
I'm not an english speaker and I have quite a bit of difficulty pronouncing numbers in english. I don't really know how to pronounce those words correctly. I never actually read numbers in english, but if I have to I would pronounce them this way.

16:9 - Sixteen nine
1920x1080 - nineteen ex ten eighty
1280x720 - twelve eighty ex seven twenty
780Ti - seven eighty ti-ai
2500k - twenty five hundreds ke

Sixteen by nine
nineteen-twenty by ten-eighty
twelve-eighty by seven-twenty
seven-eighty tee eye
twenty-five hundred kay
---
http://puu.sh/7uzXq.jpg
Our dearest SBAllen. "Admin by day. Sailor Scout by night."
1 year ago#40
Every one is pretty much on the same page for resolutions by saying 'by'. I fall in the camp of not saying anything for ratios: sixteen nine or two thirty five one or four three. I know 'to' is the correct way to say ratio when speaking in math terms but in film terms most people just leave out the 'to'. Watch any behinds the screens with any technical director and they say the ratios without the 'to'.
---
See the Turtle of enormous girth, on his shell he holds the Earth.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How do you pronounce 16:9, 1920x1080, 1280x720, 780Ti, 2500k ect. ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived