This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will this card last me a few years? I mean will it max games years from now?

• Topic Archived
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will this card last me a few years? I mean will it max games years from now?
1 year ago#11
Well, I have the same processor(and mobo) as you at almost the same clock speed. So the 780ti will work well with your system.

We have no way of knowing how fast technology will increase in performance, so there is really no way to tell you if you're going to be maxing games out years from now. In my experience the X70 GTXs can last 4 years without having to go below a mix of medium/high. So I'm guessing a 780 ti will let you play on at least high settings even in a few years.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
(edited 0 seconds ago)
1 year ago#12
Clouddx posted...
Well, I have the same processor(and mobo) as you at almost the same clock speed. So the 780ti will work well with your system.

We have no way of knowing how fast technology will increase in performance, so there is really no way to tell you if you're going to be maxing games out years from now. In my experience the X70 GTXs can last 4 years without having to go below a mix of medium/high. So I'm guessing a 780 ti will let you play on at least high settings even in a few years.

Yea, like i said earlier, i dont mind turning down AA at all. Seems from reviews and stuff ive read currently this card can max everything and stay above 50 or 60 depending on game and whats going on.

Ive been gaming on my 4890 with new games at max settings except for AA which i always keep off and i usually turn down shadows and on newer games get an average of 30 fps. I am comfortable gaming at 22 or above its just when the fps gets below 20 then i cant stand it.

Anyway, what im trying to say is im used to low fps. If 3 or so years from now i have to turn down shadows and AA to stay above 20 fps, then it will be no problem as im used to it.
---
'Don't tell me to calm down. Don't EVER tell me to calm down! I'll shoot you 3 *** in the head and TAKE your damn farm!'
THE GAME
1 year ago#13
It should easily last four years, but not at max.
It's very likely that DX12 brings features that require a new card, that'd technically make the 780Ti unable to max them.

IMO, it's best to just get a mid-range card each three or four years
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
1 year ago#14
godplaysSNES posted...
It should easily last four years, but not at max.
It's very likely that DX12 brings features that require a new card, that'd technically make the 780Ti unable to max them.

IMO, it's best to just get a mid-range card each three or four years

That's generally what I do, or I get them a little more frequently maybe (every 2-3 years). I'm only on my second desktop though so I don't exactly have a routine down. But that technique seems sound because you can always get an SLI setup for a lot more power for cheaper down the road. There's not really any single card you can get today that's going to last long for max settings, when you factor in settings like MSAA, SSAA, or a resolution past 1080p, and the fact we're on the edge of a generation leap for consoles and as a result games are about to get super saturated with visuals on PC.

If price isn't much of an issue I'd suggest the 780 ti as well, but for the best price to performance ratio (and still a powerful card) I suggest the 770. You can always dual it up later on, and the card is quite a bit cheaper than the 780 Ti (It's actually half the price, and an SLI setup is probably more powerful than a 780 Ti alone, there are probably benchmarks you can check)

I'll also note I don't care at all about DX12 and it sounds more like another desperate attempt at positive PR from Microsoft. Though I'll not bash it entirely before I've seen some games developed for it, but lets face it, that will be quite a few years from now, before it's not just tagged on late in the development process.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
(edited 0 seconds ago)
1 year ago#15
Yea im having second thoughts now, but i desperatley need a card soon. I just rather go for the best out now, even though the Kingpin edition and that AMD card are coming but those are way too pricey.
---
'Don't tell me to calm down. Don't EVER tell me to calm down! I'll shoot you 3 *** in the head and TAKE your damn farm!'
THE GAME
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will this card last me a few years? I mean will it max games years from now?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived