This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quick quick router question

#11ShubPosted 4/13/2014 1:22:32 PM(edited)
You should be able to use 802.11n over the 5 GHz band.
Why don't you post the brand and model of your router?

Edit: never mind, you already did.
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-850l-wireless-ac1200-dual-band-gigabit-cloud-router
Is that your router?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#12easycompany68(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 1:22:24 PM
ok wait, so the AC part of it is only if im wireless.. the signal being sent out..

If im connected physically then it doesn't matter?

So can I still micro manage the ability to have my gaming PC on its own band and the other pc/devise sharing the 2nd band?
#13CELTEKKPosted 4/13/2014 1:22:37 PM
easycompany68 posted...
Shub posted...
Well no of course if you're using a wired connection, you don't need a wireless adapter.
I hope you're not confusing AC adapters (a.k.a. wall warts) with 802.11ac, which is a wireless standard? Typically the wireless standard is NOT capitalized.

lol no im noobish but I didn't confuse ac wall adapters..

This is what I know, you have a new technology "ac" which is faster/smarter whatever..lol So this router I bought has dual band but the 2 bands are different.. 1 uses the old "n" tech 300mbs (2.4ghz) and the 2nd band is 900mbs (5ghz)..

This is how I visualize it but something tells me im wrong now..lol

if you bought a 802.11ac router it's most likely backwards compatible with your older devices which may only support the older wireless standards, such as 802.11n or g.
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
3770k@4.8
#14ShubPosted 4/13/2014 1:23:13 PM
Correct, if you're plugging into the router with a network cable then you can forget about the whole wireless thing. There are no "bands" in this case.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15easycompany68(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 1:23:18 PM
Shub posted...
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-850l-wireless-ac1200-dual-band-gigabit-cloud-router

yes that's it exactly : )
#16WerdnAndreWPosted 4/13/2014 1:24:43 PM
easycompany68 posted...
If im connected physically then it doesn't matter?

Correct.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#17easycompany68(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 1:25:15 PM
Shub posted...
Correct, if you're plugging into the router with a network cable then you can forget about the whole wireless thing. There are no "bands" in this case.

I currently use a single band or whatever there called.. its a 300n

When I download on one PC, I notice lag on my laptop and on my gaming pc.

Everyone told me to get a dual band and put my gaming pc on a band by itself.. but your saying if I don't use wireless then forget about bands?
#18easycompany68(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 1:26:24 PM
PS, thanks for the info so far..keep it coming.lol
#19ShubPosted 4/13/2014 1:26:39 PM
Ok so... basically you'll only be able to use 802.11ac on the 5 GHz band, but that doesn't matter if you don't have 802.11ac-compatible devices. If you're using wired connections, then none of it matters.
Now when you're choosing between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, there are several things to keep in mind. If you have a dual band router you should be able to broadcast two different wireless networks, one on the 2.4 GHz band, one on the 5 GHz band. The advantage of using 5 GHz is it's a less crowded frequency, which is useful in large apartment buildings where everyone has their own wireless network. On the flipside, its range is inferior to 2.4 GHz. Additionally, some devices may not be able to connect to a 5 GHz network at all.
My suggestion is to set up both as separate networks (e.g. "MyNetwork24" and "MyNetwork5") so you know which is which. Connect your devices to the 5 GHz network when possible, but if you don't see the 5 GHz network on a device, then use the 2.4 GHz network.
---
-What is best in life?
#20WerdnAndreWPosted 4/13/2014 1:31:15 PM(edited)
easycompany68 posted...
When I download on one PC, I notice lag on my laptop and on my gaming pc.

Everyone told me to get a dual band and put my gaming pc on a band by itself.. but your saying if I don't use wireless then forget about bands?

Maybe a router with QOS would help with the lag. With QOS you can reserve/prioritize bandwidth for certain things like gaming. If someone is downloading something large, the router will reserve a certain amount of bandwidth for gaming so it doesn't lag. If you are using a wired connection like ethernet, it has NOTHING to do with the wireless bands.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q