This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need help retrofitting my basic PC to play recent games (just need video card)

#1IminyourclosetPosted 4/13/2014 4:11:40 PM
It's a basic pre-built PC I bought on sale at a PC World, for working at uni. I ran some "Can I run this" scans, and it apparently meets both the minimum and recommended settings for many games I want to play, but the video card falls dismally short, so I think I'm just going to replace that.

I have little knowledge and no experience with computer components. I know it's an integrated graphics card, so it's not even a proper one, but that still means it can be replaced, right? Are there different types of video cards? Are some compatible with my system and some not, or would any one be fine?

http://i.imgur.com/uZlc7Vd.jpg
#2Iminyourcloset(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 4:13:25 PM
Also a disclaimer, it doesn't need to run well, I'd be happy to play on the lower graphics settings. After a couple of years of only being able to play Morrowind, Fallout 2, Deus Ex, thief and Dungeon Keeper on this thing, any change would be good.
#3ClouddxPosted 4/13/2014 4:16:55 PM(edited)
Can I run it is a useless site, it's almost always wrong. Judging by the picture, it is wrong. You won't be able to run any new games at all.

Your processor is old and only dual-core. What we need to know is what mobo you have so we can see if you have PCI slots and we also need to know the wattage of your PSU.

The best card for you to upgrade to would most likely be an HD7770.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#4Sora_AnbuPosted 4/13/2014 4:15:27 PM
... You need a better cpu, video card. I'm gong to assume you'll also need a power supply, and more ram, I suggest 8 gigs at least 1600.

Look inside the case and see what power your power supply is.

Basically you'll need to build from the ground up.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#5Iminyourcloset(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 4:17:40 PM(edited)
Aww. I'm not planning to build my gaming PC for another year at least, that's incredibly disappointing. This does show how little I know of computer specs though.

Why does the site lie to me
#6Sora_AnbuPosted 4/13/2014 4:17:24 PM
Clouddx posted...
Can I run it is a useless site, it's almost always wrong. Judging by the picture, it is wrong. You won't be able to run any new games at all.

Your processor is old and only dual-core. What we need to know is what mobo you have so we can see if you have PCI slots and we also need to know the wattage of your PSU.

Oh yeah he's going to need a new mother board, it's a 775 soc.

Possibly the only thing he can keep is the case.
---
#7Sora_AnbuPosted 4/13/2014 4:19:15 PM
Iminyourcloset posted...
Aww. I'm not planning to build my gaming PC for another year at least...

They go off of the "minimum specs" which means 10-15 fps, and they measure things that don't matter, like sound card, really? HDD space?

Yeah they are useless.
---
#8g7g7g7g7Posted 4/13/2014 5:00:53 PM
Iminyourcloset posted...
Aww. I'm not planning to build my gaming PC for another year at least, that's incredibly disappointing. This does show how little I know of computer specs though.

Hang on a minute if any site is lying to you its this one! the E5200 dual cores aren't bad for gaming, adding a low wattage video card will open up a huge range of options.

The only question is how much are you willing to spend on a video card, you say that you want to build a gaming rig next year so I would say get something secondhand to bridge the gap.

The only problem might be your PSU in a pre-built probably can't handle the requirements of a decent video card. A good option in this situation is maybe a 750ti because its small form factor and doesn't take any external power sources but that would maybe cut into next years gaming rig money a bit.
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#9Fade2black001Posted 4/13/2014 5:20:24 PM
Sora_Anbu posted...
... You need a better cpu, video card. I'm gong to assume you'll also need a power supply, and more ram, I suggest 8 gigs at least 1600.

Look inside the case and see what power your power supply is.

Basically you'll need to build from the ground up.

RAM speed makes no difference for gaming if one is using a dedicated GPU.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#10Iminyourcloset(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 5:27:08 PM
Like I said, I'm only looking to play games on their minimum specs, and Dawn of War 2 is the highest spec game on that list.

Is it doable? I don't know where to find a full list of my PC's hardware.