This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People love defending bad writing.

#1ShadowThaReaperPosted 4/14/2014 11:34:21 AM
Can't believe some people still try and say that Mass Effect and SWTOR are good.
#2Xeeh_BitzPosted 4/14/2014 11:36:33 AM
For Spring, didn't think it would be so cOld.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#3KnifegashPosted 4/14/2014 11:37:13 AM
Mass Effect 1 had insane potential, but the writing definitely took hits as they went along.

Play Spec Ops: The Line or Planescape: Torment for great writing, Spec Ops at least gets credit for being a comfortable combination of Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#4ShadowThaReaper(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 11:42:07 AM
Knifegash posted...
Mass Effect 1 had insane potential, but the writing definitely took hits as they went along.

We went from "You are not Saren." to a plot that was literally filler in Mass Effect 2, to Mass Effect 3's deus ex machina ass pull.

I can't imagine having bottom of the barrel standards like that.

Play Spec Ops: The Line or Planescape: Torment for great writing, Spec Ops at least gets credit for being a comfortable combination of Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now

Spec Ops pissed me off because you have to fight like a million enemies in every single battle. Love Planescape, though. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, and Deus Ex are some of the best, too.
#5KnifegashPosted 4/14/2014 11:46:47 AM
Oh yes, Deus Ex is obviously noteworthy. Although I played Human Revolution and adored its style and its themes of human/machine conflict, until I watched Robocop 1 a few weeks ago for the first time and was shocked at how much was almost directly lifted off from it totally intact. Yes, I know about the Alex Murphy office, the nod does not excuse the blatant appropriation of concepts!
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#6ShadowThaReaper(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 11:48:12 AM
I liked Human Revolution, but I hope they don't run the Deus Ex franchise into the ground. People need to know when to stop.
#7SneakiestNegPosted 4/14/2014 11:48:16 AM
Jade Empire and Homeworld. Mass Effect is not really about the writing: its about space, soundtrack and starships.
#8ShadowThaReaper(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 11:49:25 AM
Jade Empire was Asian KoTOR. Haven't played Homeworld yet.

Mass Effect is just one giant ripoff of Star Control 2.
#9GwendalPosted 4/14/2014 11:57:35 AM
You know, it is possible to enjoy the ME series a lot while still being perfectly well aware of the fact that the writing isn't exactly Pulitzer Prize material. :P

That said, I don't really think they're that bad, for a video game series anyway.

Knifegash posted...

Hmm...in terms of plot, you're probably right, but on the other hand, I think ME2 and 3 and much better and more natural dialogue than ME1. There's a lot of heavy-handed exposition and stiff dialogue in that game. And I didn't really mind ME2's "filler" plot, since the main story definitely isn't the most interesting thing about ME (IMO). Focusing on the characters and their side stories allowed Bioware to play to their strengths much more.
---
Currently playing:
Valkyria Chronicles 3 (PSP)
#10ShadowThaReaper(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 12:01:19 PM
Gwendal posted...
I think ME2 and 3 and much better and more natural dialogue than ME1.

Hmm. I dunno about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ze_R3TevE