This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HDMI Audio - Nvidia or AMD card - which is best?

#1prozac786Posted 4/15/2014 3:07:32 PM(edited)
I'm building another PC, this will solely act as a media centre for the family and will connect directly into my main TV (via AV receiver), in the living room. Naturally I'll be using a HDMI cable to do this, so I would like all audio to be output via HDMI as well.

Looking for any cheap card with a HDMI out port.

I'm not sure whether to go for Nvidia or AMD, I had the GTX 660 in mind but read something about connecting the Motherboard Audio Header to Nvidia cards in order to get audio out via HDMI?

I know nothing about this, is it true for Nvidia cards? Should I go for an AMD card instead?

I just want a simple setup where I can plug in a HDMI cable, choose HDMI audio from playback devices and that's it.

What's the simplest/easiest way to do this?
---
PSN Prozac786
"It shows how poorly education and raised someone really are." bob15x
#2ClouddxPosted 4/15/2014 3:08:17 PM
You can just hook up the HDMI cable to the video card for Nvidia there's no need to do anything else. IDK where you heard about connecting mobo headers or w/e you're talking about.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#3Sora_AnbuPosted 4/15/2014 3:08:35 PM
I've got my compy hooked to my receiver... Works great for me!
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#4prozac786(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2014 3:10:37 PM
Read it on tomshardware and a couple of other sites, but have no clue about it myself.

I would have also thought the same, (as you said), that simply connecting a HDMI cable to the card would be enough.
---
PSN Prozac786
#5ClouddxPosted 4/15/2014 3:11:58 PM
prozac786 posted...
Read it on tomshardware and a couple of other sites, but have no clue about it myself.

I would have also thought the same, (as you said), that simply connecting a HDMI cable to the card would be enough.

Well that's all I did with my card. =/
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#6prozac786(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2014 3:13:04 PM
Clouddx posted...
prozac786 posted...

Well that's all I did with my card. =/

Great. Will do that too. Thanks
---
PSN Prozac786
#7ShebeskiiPosted 4/15/2014 3:15:00 PM
prozac786 posted...

prozac786 posted...

You should take note of the date of the articles you're reading:

That hasn't been true since the GTX 200 series...
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#8AnatomyHorrorPosted 4/15/2014 3:32:51 PM
Have had multiple issues with AMD hdmi audio drivers. #1 complaint when it comes to AMD for me.
#9Killah PriestPosted 4/15/2014 3:52:37 PM
zero issues using hdmi with amd

don't even have to go into audio and swap the preferred device, automatically detects when I'm using my TV vs my monitor and changes the audio accordingly.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#10castrejon04Posted 4/15/2014 10:18:29 PM
My AMD card supports lossless format, but it doesn't output them.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa