This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Civilization V mods?

#11EpicKingdom_Posted 4/21/2014 6:02:39 PM
So I've been playing Civ V recently. Real fun until I finally won my first skirmish. Why should I play some more? Sounds painful playing 12 hours long matches and doing the same process throughout. Is it all in the multiplayer? Is that where this series thrives?
---
http://i.imgur.com/bY3txRa.png
#12arleasPosted 4/21/2014 6:12:57 PM
EpicKingdom_ posted...
So I've been playing Civ V recently. Real fun until I finally won my first skirmish. Why should I play some more? Sounds painful playing 12 hours long matches and doing the same process throughout. Is it all in the multiplayer? Is that where this series thrives?

If you didn't enjoy playing the game for 12 hours then no, I don't think it gets better. For me, if I've ever really enjoyed a Civ game, I'd play it for 16-20 hours and not even realize time had passed...like time travel. I enjoyed myself to the point of not realizing I had been sitting in the same place for more than 12 hours.

Civ V didn't do that for me. It made me painfully aware of the passage of time. I haven't tried it with the latest expansion but I did try it briefly with Gods and Kings and thought it was still pretty meh. Civ IV (for me) is a much better game. Don't get me wrong. I love that they made it so you couldn't do the stack of doom to just take over anything, and I prefer the hex grid to the square grids in the older Civ games, but unless BNW totally changed the gameplay away from that Slow plodding feeling, it's just not worth it.

I've been playing since the first Civ game on the Amiga 500, and I'd rather enjoy myself playing Civ IV or Civ II than punish myself on Civ III or Civ V... Maybe I'll find that I really enjoy Civ VI when it comes out. Civ I to Civ II was the only time where I felt the sequel was a 100% direct improvement.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#13sonic_man00(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 6:36:17 PM
arleas posted...
EpicKingdom_ posted...

If you didn't enjoy playing the game for 12 hours then no, I don't think it gets better. For me, if I've ever really enjoyed a Civ game, I'd play it for 16-20 hours and not even realize time had passed...like time travel. I enjoyed myself to the point of not realizing I had been sitting in the same place for more than 12 hours.

Civ V didn't do that for me. It made me painfully aware of the passage of time. I haven't tried it with the latest expansion but I did try it briefly with Gods and Kings and thought it was still pretty meh. Civ IV (for me) is a much better game. Don't get me wrong. I love that they made it so you couldn't do the stack of doom to just take over anything, and I prefer the hex grid to the square grids in the older Civ games, but unless BNW totally changed the gameplay away from that Slow plodding feeling, it's just not worth it.

I've been playing since the first Civ game on the Amiga 500, and I'd rather enjoy myself playing Civ IV or Civ II than punish myself on Civ III or Civ V... Maybe I'll find that I really enjoy Civ VI when it comes out. Civ I to Civ II was the only time where I felt the sequel was a 100% direct improvement.

Don't even compare Civ 3 to Civ 5.
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.
#14arleasPosted 4/21/2014 7:47:20 PM
sonic_man00 posted...

I didn't. Where did you see me compare them? A comparison would have been something like this: "And Civ V had really bad AI just like in Civ III..." (Note that's just an example and not something I actually think). I merely listed them as two games in the series that I did not enjoy.

Games I did enjoy: Civ I, Civ II, Civ IV.
Games I did not enjoy: Civ III, Civ V.

In all cases I'm talking about base game only, no mods, no expansions, nothing.
I never even played the Civ IV expansions.
---
#15SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/21/2014 8:06:11 PM(edited)
You should keep at G&K, because it's considerably better than Civ4 ever became.

Almost 800 hours in and still figuring out little ways to improve my game. Like buying Settlers with gold when you have the opportunity and holding off on taking Legalism with Civs that get UB's with culture because it will give you those.

BNW ends up significantly changing stuff early in the game too with trade routes. It changes how you get money significantly, so it affects things pretty drastically.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#16sonic_man00(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 9:43:43 PM
arleas posted...
sonic_man00 posted...

I didn't. Where did you see me compare them? A comparison would have been something like this: "And Civ V had really bad AI just like in Civ III..." (Note that's just an example and not something I actually think). I merely listed them as two games in the series that I did not enjoy.

Games I did enjoy: Civ I, Civ II, Civ IV.
Games I did not enjoy: Civ III, Civ V.

In all cases I'm talking about base game only, no mods, no expansions, nothing.
I never even played the Civ IV expansions.

I'd rather enjoy myself playing Civ IV or Civ II than punish myself on Civ III or Civ V...

I've never played any expansions for V and its the best. 4 is fun but doesn't match up.
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.
#17Majoras_pantsPosted 4/21/2014 10:13:01 PM
Civ 5 with expansions beats the hell out of any other game in the series.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#18arleasPosted 4/21/2014 10:26:11 PM
sonic_man00 posted...
I'd rather enjoy myself playing Civ IV or Civ II than punish myself on Civ III or Civ V...

That quote is me again stating which games I enjoyed vs which ones I didn't. I disliked them for very very different reasons. If there was any comparison of the two at all it was vs the previous games in the series. I greatly enjoyed Civ II and I was mostly unimpressed and let down by Civ III. I loved Civ IV but felt Civ V, while making some great improvements, let the flow of the game stagnate.

That's how I'm comparing V to III... they're both let downs for me. Sorry if that upsets you.

http://i.imgur.com/yNaJ44V.gif

As for V with expansions being great... maybe... I didn't think G&K was enough to save it, but I haven't tried it with BNW. Seems to me like V needed the expansions to fix the f*** ups they made.
---
#19SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/21/2014 10:52:31 PM(edited)
Your entitled to your own opinion, I just don't understand what you mean by its pacing stagnating. It feels a lot more active to me.

I'm not saying the game is flawless either. There's some stuff that really annoys me, like how you can't control the next tile that your city will expand through culture, or the random element to Great Prophets appearing, or the Rationalization tree(or at least the early dips to it) being pretty much essential.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#20imasexywomanPosted 4/22/2014 2:11:49 PM
Are Civ III and Civ IV easy to learn for a newcomer? And are there many historically accurate scenarios/mods? For example the R.E.D. WW2 mod for Civ V looks awesome. I'm not looking for only one specific time period, though. Just anything that isn't a randomized map or has a weird mix of all civilizations. (Old school Egypt and modern America... uh what?) I guess that stuff is cool in a way but I want something closer to reality.