This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Spent thirty minutes playing Half-Life 1, had to turn it off

#1noimnoturdaddyPosted 4/16/2014 5:00:06 PM(edited)
Reminded me how ****** FPS games are in comparison to what they used to be. Better to try and force that ignorance.

Even the netcode for multiplayer was better back then. 400ms on 56k felt better than sub-100ms in today's CoD.

Dammit, Valve! Why did you have to be so good?
---
How good doesn't character have to be...to be good?? - League_of_Noobs
#2snae99Posted 4/16/2014 5:03:15 PM
Yeah I think Half-Life 1 is vastly superior to the second game.
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger
#3noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2014 5:06:12 PM
snae99 posted...
Yeah I think Half-Life 1 is vastly superior to the second game.

For me it was the drawn out vehicular sections and all the dialogue that killed HL2. HL1 had dialogue but it was more people having conversations *around* you and hearing radio chatter. Aside from the scene in the Resonance Chamber and the one before you went through the portal, you were pretty much a nobody that was trying to survive the chaos on your own. HL2 you're treated like Jesus, and people never shut up about how great you are.
---
#4negative4Posted 4/16/2014 5:07:16 PM
Half Life 3 confirmed?
---
Chicago Bears 8-8, 3rd NFC North (2011-2012 Season)
WE LIKE IKE! Aethering to victory.
#5noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2014 5:07:44 PM
negative4 posted...
Half Life 3 confirmed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYE5cxQrIp8
---
#6snae99Posted 4/16/2014 5:10:01 PM(edited)
Yeah the vehicle sections killed the pacing for me. That and I didn't think the setting was as good, though it was cool being in multiple areas. idk I preferred having to escape a research facility being bombarded by aliens and mercenaries trying to kill you.

Another thing I really liked was going to Xen.

EDIT: One last thing. I'm not a big fan of time skips, especially one as long as the time between the first and second game.
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger
#7noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2014 5:13:45 PM
Yeah Xen was pretty badass, not just the setting but the fact that after running around what was basically the same tileset for hours on end, you go into an *ENTIRELY* new zone with *ALL NEW ASSETS* that you spent maybe 2 hours of the game in.

HOW MANY GAMES DO THAT?
---
#8noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2014 5:15:51 PM(edited)
Look at this guy.

Works on "Half-Life".

Takes a 6 year vacation after release.

They both knew they had pretty much won permanent legendary status in the FPS genre. Where do you even go after that? That's like training to be Bruce Lee and then becoming as good as Bruce Lee. Then... yeah, just vacation really. You beat life.
---
#9Garage_ManPosted 4/16/2014 5:15:50 PM
See I had the opposite feeling. I never played any of these on PC so I bought it at a steam sale last year. I had to turn it off. It reminded me of FF6 and how people are like OMG AMAZING GAME BEST YAY WOOO. I just didn't get that feeling.

The controls are awful, it feels so so so bad but that is valves engine. Portal suffers from it too but at least the story is good. On half life I just had to stop because the story was bad and character development seemed nonexistent.

I am sure that for the time it was good, but all games were good for the time. HL is no more timeless than FF6 is.
#10noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2014 5:17:01 PM
Garage_Man posted...
See I had the opposite feeling. I never played any of these on PC so I bought it at a steam sale last year. I had to turn it off. It reminded me of FF6 and how people are like OMG AMAZING GAME BEST YAY WOOO. I just didn't get that feeling.

The controls are awful, it feels so so so bad but that is valves engine. Portal suffers from it too but at least the story is good. On half life I just had to stop because the story was bad and character development seemed nonexistent.

I am sure that for the time it was good, but all games were good for the time. HL is no more timeless than FF6 is.

It's like the hippie movement. You probably had to be there for it to be as amazing as it sounds. If you try to relive it nowadays without that prior experience, you're just looking at the mechanics, and everyone who was there and tries reliving it, looks pathetic to people who weren't there.
---