This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Spent thirty minutes playing Half-Life 1, had to turn it off

#61noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 10:13:31 AM(edited)
ValedictorianXD posted...
So...nostalgia?

Only to an extent. Nostalgia got me to replay Secret of Mana, reality made me realize it's actually a very bad game.

Nostalgia got me to replay Half-Life, reality made me realize it's actually still an upper-tier FPS title. And despite what my topic says, I did go back, I finished Blast Pit last night, and I plan on finishing the game later this week.

The thing about Half-Life and the hippie movement metaphor is that it does work very well, at least to me. The Beatles are still good if you listen to them today, but to the people that enjoyed them when they were part of a movement, they're much better. Everyone else gets maybe 50% of the experience, and some people just aren't going to like the Beatles.

That doesn't mean they aren't a legendary act, and I put Half-Life 1 in the same class. It's ridiculous to me how good this game is, a lot of it is due to how understated all the mechanics are yet everything works. You encounter a monster in a room that can't be killed with conventional weapons, and you don't get a cutscene or an NPC telling you what to do. You look around your environment and see three labels: "Power - Oxygen - Fuel", and the indicators tell you that of those services are functional. The game assumes you have a brain and can figure out that in order to kill the monster, you need to restore function to all three of those systems, and then flick the switch, and it leaves you to find it out yourself.

And it works. That to me is brilliant game design. It doesn't tell you how to do anything, you have to figure it out yourself, and even though it's just a game, you still feel pretty smart when you accomplish the task.

I really like how fast Half-Life moves in comparison to modern shooters as well. Sprinting in BF4 or CoD or even playing CS:GO is not as fast as your movement speed in HL1. This will sound like a slag and it kind of is, but I think we had to slow down the FPS genre quite a bit when they became more console focused. It took a lot of adrenaline out of the experience.
---
How good doesn't character have to be...to be good?? - League_of_Noobs
#62kingoffpsPosted 4/17/2014 11:04:32 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...

It took a lot of adrenaline out of the experience.

Absolutely. This doesn't seem to get mentioned as an argument often, but old-style twitch shooters (and FPS games in general) are superior to modern games partly due to the simple act of being able to move quicker. Quicker movement = more pumped gunfights.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...