This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hate how Windows 8 takes Control-Alt-Delete and end task as a suggestion

#1AtralisPosted 4/16/2014 7:36:19 PM
It just hangs sometimes.
---
~ IN THE FUTURE there will be no black people and white people. Just robots.
#2myztikricePosted 4/16/2014 8:14:32 PM
Huh?
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#3SlaynPosted 4/16/2014 8:46:23 PM
Wat???
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#4SythisTaruPosted 4/16/2014 8:47:16 PM
Troll topic. Programs shut off faster and more consistently than any windows OS before.
#5LvthnPosted 4/16/2014 9:05:23 PM
It's not Windows 8, it's been around since Vista. It's a fundamental change in how Windows shuts down programs from Task Manager, and yes, it is possible for it to be 100% ineffective now, whereas previously you could shut down anything unless Windows itself was having a crisis.
#6ElDudorinoPosted 4/21/2014 7:44:43 AM
Yeah, that's actually one thing I hate about Windows 7 as well. I choose End Program, and Windows decides to act like I just clicked the X in the corner of the window. Before, CTRL+ALT+DEL felt like an Admin tool. Now, it's just an alternative to hitting File -> Exit.
#7ShubPosted 4/21/2014 7:48:29 AM
Sounds like you're doing it wrong. Go to the Details tab of Task Manager and look for your program in the list of processes, then end it from there.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8arleasPosted 4/21/2014 8:02:04 AM
I've never had a problem with it in windows 7, though if I just go to ctrl alt del and say shutdown from there, it may take a second to end all the tasks, but then it comes back with which task is holding up the shutdown and I can select "Force shutdown" from there and it works just fine.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#9TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 4/21/2014 8:28:16 AM
Shub posted...
Sounds like you're doing it wrong. Go to the Details tab of Task Manager and look for your program in the list of processes, then end it from there.

Maybe this is why this topic is confusing me.

I always end programs from the processes tab. It always works instantly, even if the program refuses to respond.
---
Steam: Sydite
#10jake-sfPosted 4/21/2014 8:29:27 AM(edited)
Uh...

Its Ctrl + Shift + Escape now. Gets directly to the task manager.

And it forces shut down as well as it did before. I've never had any issues. I do have UAC completely off, because its terrible. I think having it on makes it harder to shut down programs, because UAC gets in the way of bloody everything.

I also keep the Task Manager to Processes sorted by name. Even when the programs are as locked out as possible and I can't even see the task manager, I can still find it by its name and close it.

And as said, always close from the Processes tab.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/