This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sound Blaster ZXR

#1Ruzz9Posted 4/17/2014 9:28:00 AM
Is this card any decent for headphone only gaming? And question, how does the "sister card" work? Do they both get put in and connect sonehow? Like an SLI type thing?
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: RichRuzz
#2KillerTrufflePosted 4/17/2014 9:55:49 AM(edited)
Not familiar with this specific card, but I can tell you right off the bat just from seeing a picture that the "sister" card simply fits into an empty expansion slot on the back, but doesn't actually plug into the motherboard. A cable will run from the sound card to the other one.

It is curious why they'd decide to go with this format as opposed to just using a double-height card. My guess is that whatever the sister card does is optional, so you can choose not to install it if you don't want to. Can't think of any other reason to not just build it into the sound card itself and make it double-height.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3Ruzz9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 10:47:41 AM
Yeah... I'm confused but I'd like a headphone centric card that'd go well with my DT 990Pros
---
#4Ruzz9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 10:59:51 AM
My main confusion is wtf do I do with the sister card? It doesn't sit in a slot?
---
#5KillerTrufflePosted 4/17/2014 11:22:33 AM
Ruzz9 posted...
My main confusion is wtf do I do with the sister card? It doesn't sit in a slot?

That part I can answer - it DOES sit in an expansion slot. It just doesn't actually plug into the motherboard.

Other expansion cards have done the same thing. I have a USB expansion that fills an expansion slot, but doesn't have the traditional PCI plug. Instead, it plugs into a USB header on the board via a cable. Looking at it from outside the case, it looks like just another expansion card, but inside, you can see it's not a traditional card in that it doesn't take up a PCI slot - just an expansion port on the back of the case.

This card is the same way. It will fill another port on the back, and look like another card, but when you look inside, it won't be plugged into the motherboard, it'll be connected to the main sound card.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6torres007Posted 4/17/2014 11:39:36 AM
I have one and I love it for its Asio support and it is great with headphones or speakers.

Anyways there is a cable similar to SLI that powers the sister card The cable allows to expansion card to be placed up to around 5 slots down.. The control dock is nice and doesn't seem to degrade sound quality, but the built in mic on the dock is terrible. I have my own mic anyways though.
---
Torres man get a sig.
#7Ruzz9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 11:44:10 AM
Do I even need/want the sister card installed? Also does it require an external power connection or it's fine just in the slot?
---
#8Fade2black001Posted 4/17/2014 11:47:37 AM
Ruzz9 posted...
Do I even need/want the sister card installed? Also does it require an external power connection or it's fine just in the slot?

If the card just sits in the slot then thats it. Its power is from the mobo itself. That's why you see low profile Grpahic cards and what not. The dont need extra power from the PSU.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#9datopgamerPosted 4/17/2014 12:45:14 PM
Can't say from experience, but I hear the card is pretty good for headphones. If it's specifically for gaming though just get the zx unless you have some very high-end headphones in which case you're better off getting an external amplifier instead of using a sound card.
---
I5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Seasonic 750w PSU, Monoprice 1440p monitor
#10r0ge00Posted 4/17/2014 12:50:26 PM
You likely won't use the extra stuff on the ZXR, so just get the ZX as the poster above said. If you have an amp for your DT990s already, you can pick up the Z and use the line out to your amp.