This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Weird "Website wants to open web content" warning when starting IE on new Win7

#1KalirionPosted 4/17/2014 6:06:41 PM
So I just did a clean install of Windows 7 (disk provided when purchasing PC 3-4 years ago), followed by Driver Updates DVD (same source) followed by MSE (which wouldnt work without updates) followed by wireless card drivers just downloaded off the net on another PC to finally get internet access.

Now when I try launching IE (8) I get the message "A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer" ... Not a valid signature, etc.

"Name: C:\Program".

Anyone know what this is?
---
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.
#2Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 6:11:51 PM
And there's a hidden file called just Program, creation date 2009, on C:\.
---
#3WyzeGyePosted 4/17/2014 6:13:37 PM
IE claims another victim.
---
http://puu.sh/7Eoww/e5f7bf2a73.png
http://puu.sh/7EoG7/ff5a108d5c.png
#4Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 6:23:52 PM
After I renamed the file, IE starts up without any warning.

So, anyone heard about this "Program"? Not sure how to even google for it. Seems like it might be malware, but what? And what part of the install process introduced it?
---
#5MarikhenPosted 4/17/2014 9:59:21 PM
Just going to point out that you'll probably not have issues like that if you use Firefox, disable all popups in its settings, and run NoScript and AdBlock. I had a few similar issues with Internet Explorer. I haven't had any such issues with Firefox.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#6Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2014 8:06:21 AM
Marikhen posted...
Just going to point out that you'll probably not have issues like that if you use Firefox, disable all popups in its settings, and run NoScript and AdBlock. I had a few similar issues with Internet Explorer. I haven't had any such issues with Firefox.

The thing is, I think this "C:\Program" file is a symptom of the infection, and it appeared before I ran IE for the fist time. So no, I don't think IE is the problem here, just that whatever the infection might be, IE is one of its targets.

Btw, anyone know where I could submit this 96 byte file for analysis? I'd really like to know what it does.
---
#7ShubPosted 4/18/2014 8:19:09 AM(edited)
Sounds to me like something, somewhere, meant to call the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folder, but because those folders have spaces in their names, you need to enclose them in quotes, otherwise the program will only see C:\Program.
Now where it came from, I cannot say, but my guess is it was something from the driver updates DVD. I also doubt it was malware.
Did you open the file in Notepad? Perhaps it's human-legible.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2014 8:54:19 AM
Shub posted...
Sounds to me like something, somewhere, meant to call the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folder, but because those folders have spaces in their names, you need to enclose them in quotes, otherwise the program will only see C:\Program.
Now where it came from, I cannot say, but my guess is it was something from the driver updates DVD. I also doubt it was malware.
Did you open the file in Notepad? Perhaps it's human-legible.

Nope, not human-legible at all.

Also, if I create a text file, rename it to Program, and put it under C:\, same alert happens. If I do it on my own PC, also running Win 7x64 Pro, no such thing. So something is telling IE to run that specific file.
---
#9ShubPosted 4/18/2014 8:59:51 AM
Does it happen if you just do Start | Run and type "iexplore"?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10DiScOrD tHe LuNaTiCPosted 4/18/2014 9:20:28 AM
Marikhen posted...

Just recently did a Win7 install myself and your post made me remember that I'd neglected to install AdBlock. Thanks!
---
"Jon Jones and Bendo just slaying mother f***ers in the name of the lord" -- MICHALECOLE