This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Weird "Website wants to open web content" warning when starting IE on new Win7

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Weird "Website wants to open web content" warning when starting IE on new Win7
1 year ago#11
Shub posted...
Does it happen if you just do Start | Run and type "iexplore"?

Didn't check at the time, and since then upgraded to IE 11 (was IE 8) and the alert does not pop up even with C:\Program present.
---
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.
1 year ago#12
Well, my guess is there was an improperly formatted argument in the command line for the shortcut you were using, and upgrading IE replaced the shortcut with a fresh one without any arguments.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
1 year ago#13
Shub posted...
Well, my guess is there was an improperly formatted argument in the command line for the shortcut you were using, and upgrading IE replaced the shortcut with a fresh one without any arguments.

Why would a brand new install of Windows 7 give both an improper shortcut and some weird 96 byte file that the shortcut interacts with?
---
1 year ago#14
Shub posted...
Now where it came from, I cannot say, but my guess is it was something from the driver updates DVD. I also doubt it was malware.

On top of that, we'll never know now since it's gone.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
1 year ago#15
Shub posted...
Shub posted...
Now where it came from, I cannot say, but my guess is it was something from the driver updates DVD. I also doubt it was malware.

On top of that, we'll never know now since it's gone.

Well, I have the file in question backed up, but no clue where to give it to have it analyzed.

Did full scans of HDD with MSE and MalwareBytes. Anything else I should try?
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Weird "Website wants to open web content" warning when starting IE on new Win7

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived