This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Square Enix Is Bringing Final Fantasy III To PC

#41DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/18/2014 9:37:11 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
And you're wrong.

It's the only one I can honestly say that I got absolutely no pleasure out of.

Just a pile of everything unenjoyable about 8-bit RPGs(excessive grinding, excessive random battles, poor story and limited ability to save), exacerbated by the job class system, which, contrary to popular belief, it did not introduce.

If you can tolerate that, fine. I'm not going to try to take away your ability to enjoy it. I very much dislike it though, in comparison to all of the games.

If you actually had to grind in FF3, you must have sucked pretty bad at it.
And what of those did FF1 not do far worse? Or FF2, for that matter?

In FF1 you only had one class to level up. In FF2, the growth system was a lot more engaging, since your actions in combat affect the how your stats increase, and the story was better.

In FF3, as you change classes, your characters' performance drops until you can "catch up" a bit. So enemies get stronger as you get temporarily weaker. Not hard to see where the grinding comes into play.

FF2's growth system wasn't engaging, it was just broken.
You don't level classes like characters in FF3, and they don't take long to master, which eliminates the class change nerf, which was put there to make you think about how and when you switch classes.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#42DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/18/2014 9:37:29 AM
Dorami posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Just a pile of everything unenjoyable about 8-bit RPGs(excessive grinding, excessive random battles, poor story and limited ability to save), exacerbated by the job class system, which, contrary to popular belief, it did not introduce.

FF1 did not require any grinding.

Neither did FF3.
---
#43SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/18/2014 9:42:51 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
And you're wrong.

If you can tolerate that, fine. I'm not going to try to take away your ability to enjoy it. I very much dislike it though, in comparison to all of the games.

In FF1 you only had one class to level up. In FF2, the growth system was a lot more engaging, since your actions in combat affect the how your stats increase, and the story was better.

In FF3, as you change classes, your characters' performance drops until you can "catch up" a bit. So enemies get stronger as you get temporarily weaker. Not hard to see where the grinding comes into play.

You don't level classes like characters in FF3, and they don't take long to master, which eliminates the class change nerf, which was put there to make you think about how and when you switch classes.

Bolded part is a factual error. It may minimize it, but it doesn't eliminate it.

I'm speaking about the FF2 GBA remake and the FF3 DS remake here. I don't have any experience with the originals. From what I understand, the GBA version fixed some bugs with the growth system. In any case, I didn't notice any problems, so I don't know what you mean by broken.

It was a grind, but it was a fun grind. Like Grandia or FFT(even though those games were piss easy without needing to grind, it was compelling enough to do).
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#44DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/18/2014 9:48:40 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Bolded part is a factual error. It may minimize it, but it doesn't eliminate it.

I'm speaking about the FF2 GBA remake and the FF3 DS remake here. I don't have any experience with the originals. From what I understand, the GBA version fixed some bugs with the growth system. In any case, I didn't notice any problems, so I don't know what you mean by broken.

It was a grind, but it was a fun grind. Like Grandia or FFT(even though those games were piss easy without needing to grind, it was compelling enough to do).

The GBA remakes aren't representative of the original versions. FF2 was a very, very stiff grind. That said, even on GBA, the growth system was completely broken. And by broken, I mean it was full of exploits that could not be fixed without radical changes.

In the original, it eliminates it completely(and it was a different nerf). I seem to remember the DS one being similar. Either way, it was largely irrelevant as it never posed any sort of problem.
---
#45DoramiPosted 4/18/2014 9:56:05 AM
In FF3 NES, you cannot change jobs at all unless you have enough CP.

In FF3 DS, you can change jobs at any time, but your performance decreases a lot until you've fought enough battles. This drops as you gain exp levels.

The performance nerf is independent of the stat differences from high job levels.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#46al3azmiPosted 4/18/2014 10:01:23 AM
I'm waiting for ffx10 port.
---
Psn-Battler624 Psn2-alazmi906
Low class warrior with the power of millions of super Elite
#47SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/18/2014 10:07:19 AM
The GBA remakes aren't representative of the original versions. FF2 was a very, very stiff grind. That said, even on GBA, the growth system was completely broken. And by broken, I mean it was full of exploits that could not be fixed without radical changes.

What kind of exploits?

Pretty much every RPG is loaded with exploits.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#48DoramiPosted 4/18/2014 10:07:24 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Dorami posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

FF1 did not require any grinding.

Neither did FF3.

I can explain to someone with no knowledge of upcoming events of the game, with a single independent clause, how to not grind at all in FF1.

Can you do anything nearly as efficient for FF3?
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#49LoshadtPosted 4/18/2014 10:17:04 AM
The problem I had with the remake of FF3 is that they didn't scale the difficulty to the hardware. they couldn't show as many enemies on the screen, but they didn't adjust their XP values accordingly, which meant that you are probably going to have to grind at some point.

Hopefully if that remains the same on the PC version someone can mod it.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#50Jon_GodPosted 4/18/2014 10:21:37 AM
Just wait for the 9000 ports of Final Fantasy IV Square-Enix will eventually give you.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/