This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why doesn't Microsoft just go back to Windows 7 if everybody hates Windows 8?

#81DoramiPosted 4/20/2014 2:03:06 PM
Microsoft won't go back to Windows 7 because the incompetent people who want the changes made in Windows 8 have a disproportionate effect on Microsoft's bottom line.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#82Lucavi000Posted 4/20/2014 2:09:15 PM
I really need to install windows 8 on my PC again since the latest update.
#83Orestes417Posted 4/20/2014 2:13:36 PM
Dorami posted...
Microsoft won't go back to Windows 7 because the incompetent people who want the changes made in Windows 8 have a disproportionate effect on Microsoft's bottom line.

Profoundly ironic, considering the "power users" complaining loudest seem to be thrown entirely off their game by a slightly different looking menu. So who exactly was supposed to be incompetent?
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#84JKatarnPosted 4/20/2014 3:39:29 PM
Killah Priest posted...
So my point about the interface stands....unless they're wrong and metro changed DRASTICALLY since the release preview.

I think what he was trying to say was... You didn't really commit to switching so you weren't willing to put effort into it.

He missed the point completely, I came to the conclusion that the interface was designed to be most efficient on touch-screen devices, an opinion that is shared (and you'll notice I referenced) by more than a few journalists/magazines/review venues etc. If you like it, more power to you, but it definitely hasn't been that popular with the public at large.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#85Killah PriestPosted 4/20/2014 3:54:35 PM
I came to the conclusion that the interface was designed to be most efficient on touch-screen devices, an opinion that is shared (and you'll notice I referenced) by more than a few journalists/magazines/review venues etc. If you like it, more power to you, but it definitely hasn't been that popular with the public at large.

I just wonder if they committed to the switch, IMO if you want to properly test an OS you have to basically commit to switching to it. No "I messed around with it on someones laptop or PC"

You're more willing to "figure something out" if you commit to the switch, but if you have windows 7 to fall back on you're more likely to just go back and complain about changes without even trying.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#86crimzonwarriorPosted 4/20/2014 3:57:53 PM
They can't go back to it because they never left it. All window platforms are supported for over ten years.
#87DoramiPosted 4/20/2014 4:27:26 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Dorami posted...

Profoundly ironic, considering the "power users" complaining loudest seem to be thrown entirely off their game by a slightly different looking menu. So who exactly was supposed to be incompetent?

The group that got exactly what they wanted complains less than the group that got exactly the opposite of what they wanted. Shocking!

The pretense that Windows 8 merely used a different looking menu is also incorrect.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#88shamfuruPosted 4/20/2014 4:37:00 PM
Windows 8 is fine, suck it up.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#89shamfuruPosted 4/20/2014 4:38:26 PM
Oh and it's esc, F9, esc right when the screen turns on to open up the Bios / system restore / safe mode screen.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#90Orestes417Posted 4/20/2014 4:50:22 PM
Dorami posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Dorami posted...

The group that got exactly what they wanted complains less than the group that got exactly the opposite of what they wanted. Shocking!

The pretense that Windows 8 merely used a different looking menu is also incorrect.

You're right. There were quite a few UI changes that any competent user could adjust to in less than a day and quite a bit under the hood that an actual admin can work magic with. As for people getting what they wanted, I don't recall MS asking anyone what they wanted. I also don't think anyone would've asked specifically for the rough edges in Windows 8 had they been consulted. It's irrelevant in the long run though, adapt or say hello to the dinosaurs for me..
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together