This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people hate vista so much?

#11ShadowThaReaperPosted 4/19/2014 1:18:17 PM
Incompatible with software I was using at the time.
#12LMTTNPosted 4/19/2014 1:20:37 PM
My first Windows Vista PC was some crappy Presario that my dad bought in early 2007 that only had a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 and 1GB of RAM. We later bought a Radeon X550 for it (it was like $50 or something at Staples) and it would play a decent amount of games, but it would still struggle to render the basic interface. Not only that, but it had very poor compatibility at launch.
---
Steam: Macintosh Plus | PSN: letmetrythisname
Now Playing: EVE Online, Europa Universalis IV
#13romsnbombsPosted 4/19/2014 1:39:26 PM
indeed, what a lot of people are saying in this thread is the same as my experience.

An example was a computer with 1GB of ram and 256MB of that reserved for the GPU, so effectively 750ish MB of board memory for an OS which ideally uses about 1GB of RAM. It was terrible for those systems to be sold with only 1GB or less, I heard of some being sold with only 512MB (I can only imagine how bad that was).

But once you had 2GB of RAM, the actual processing power needed was not much of an issue on say a 2GHz single core CPU. Boot time was obviously longer than XP, since XP sometimes use only 150-200MB of RAM on startup, so with vista using 1GB it had 5 time as much data to write from the HDD to the RAM, and therefore significantly longer to startup.
---
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB
#14Odin of KpxPosted 4/19/2014 4:42:36 PM
I loved Vista. The first computer I put it on was a q6600/4GB Ram/ 8800 GTX. My girlfriend at the time had it come on a laptop that was not able to run the OS properly. I personally think that Windows 7 was the weakest OS since XP. I finally gave up on it on my main desktop and just installed Windows 8.1 . I prefer the metro menu to the old start menu. Honestly, is there really anybody that uses the start menu anymore? Ever since they improved the quick launch bar I didn't use the start menu. All of my games are either on Steam or Origin, so I don't need the start menu to launch games. Other, less used software, I just put shortcuts on the desktop. Also, metro apps are nice on my netbook since only one thing runs at a time.
#15PhilOnDezPosted 4/19/2014 4:52:04 PM
I have a clean desktop and just use the start menu as a hidden tray for what I would normally keep on the desktop but rarely use along with maybe a game or two that I'm currently playing if it's not on steam/origin. My quick-launch icons are my 'daily driver' programs, so to speak. Browser, steam/origin, precision x, CPU/GPU-Z, and GeForce Experience.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#16Cool_Dude667Posted 4/19/2014 5:01:47 PM
I was using Vista from about 2007 to until early last year and never had any problems.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#17SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/19/2014 5:16:26 PM(edited)
People forget that XP also used to be an inefficient resource hog with tons of driver issues for a while too.

I've been using vista for about 7 years now and haven't had a tenth of the issues I've had with XP.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#18cody4783Posted 4/19/2014 7:22:37 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
I've been using vista for about 7 years now and haven't had a tenth of the issues I've had with XP.

Ain't that the truth....Lord knows I started getting *used* to seeing the BSOD in XP for awhile there... XP couldn't recover from harsh errors for crud.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#19Killah PriestPosted 4/19/2014 7:25:48 PM
In my experience with windows...

only counting 95 and above the only truly bad and deserving of hate version of windows was millennium edition.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#20Chaos_MissilePosted 4/19/2014 9:17:49 PM
Snickleseed posted...
plus the overzealous UAC that tried too hard to save users from themselves, the whole 32-bit vs. 64-bit clusterf***.... program incompatibilities... no less than SIX different versions.... four of which were available for consumers to buy off the shelf... it was all too overwhelming for Joe Consumer to figure out thus it quickly gained a reputation as a "terrible" OS. Even though Service Pack 2 put it pretty much on par with Windows 7 from a stability and speed standpoint, and far ahead of XP in just about every way possible.. but at that point the damage had been done

This was pretty much my biggest issue. Else, I thought Vista was fine(my laptop was also a 4GB, Core 2 Duo spec so that might have been factor >_>)
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008