This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU temp is off the charts; How do I approach this?

#1lolman7712Posted 4/19/2014 9:15:57 PM
Okay, so here's the deal. My CPU is an Intel i5 4570 and I just put together my computer two days ago. Everything runs fine and all, so I decide to watch a twitch stream thinking I'm supposed to be getting ~50 degrees C.

Only my CPU's temp suddenly spikes to the high 70s. Okay then, maybe Twitch is more intense than I thought. I then launch Left 4 Dead 2, only for the temperature to go up to the 90s. This alarmed me greatly, so I shut down everything and checked the computer guts.

The CPU heatsink/fan was installed properly and the thermal paste is still there (everything is stock). I even checked the two case fans and both worked fine, so I decide to check the CPU temp using the BIOS. The temperature reading started at 52, only to keep climbing until it hit 98.9 degrees Celsius. I'm of the understanding that the BIOS should not impose any load on the CPU, so something is clearly wrong here. It seems like I only ever get 50 degrees when I'm not doing anything intense.

I came here to seek advice on what I should do now to alleviate this. Should I reapply thermal paste myself, or purchase a new CPU cooler? If the latter, are there any recommendations I should consider? I thank everyone for any help given in advance.
---
"I like to picture arguments on GameFAQs as territorial chimpanzee battles... in suits. Suits make everything funny." - Nights85
#2Bmvc1Posted 4/19/2014 9:26:56 PM
I have the same processor using the stock fan, even when playing games it hovers around 50c. 40c - 45c for most other things. I would return it.
---
PSN: Bmvc1 | Steam: Bmvc1 | Live: xXiAmLgNdXx |
#3Master_BassPosted 4/19/2014 9:29:22 PM
I'd try to apply some new thermal paste and if that doesn't work, just get a cheap aftermarket one. Something like this will be more than sufficient for your CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#4SnadadosPosted 4/19/2014 9:35:41 PM
What cooler do you have?
If it is a stock cooler I'd check to see if one of the push pins came loose.
Grab the cooler and wiggle it, don't be afraid of breaking it, you should pretty much be able to shake the entire computer if it is on their securely.

If it is an aftermarket cooler I'd check the nuts and bolts are nice and snug.

If everything seems fine I would take the cooler off, clean the thermal paste and start over installing the cooler.

The only time I've had a stock CPU get that hot is when the cooler was not completely secure.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#5lolman7712(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2014 10:09:40 PM(edited)
So I decided to remove the cooler and examine things.

What I found was that most of the pre-applied thermal paste is now on the CPU, with some left on the cooler. Also, when I attempted to reattach it the cooler refused to fasten itself securely, nearly falling if I didn't catch it in time. To be specific, it seems the plastic screws will not stay secured to the motherboard, as when I attempted multiple times to fasten the heatsink back on the CPU it would stay wobbly before falling off.

What should I do at this point? Any advice?

EDIT: After a bit of assertive screwing and wire tidying, I screwed it back on and it's all secure now. I guess now I gotta get some thermal paste, and I'll take into consideration that CoolerMaster tech. Thanks for the assistance, everyone.
---
"I like to picture arguments on GameFAQs as territorial chimpanzee battles... in suits. Suits make everything funny." - Nights85
#6JockoPosted 4/19/2014 10:01:36 PM
Snadados posted...
What cooler do you have?
If it is a stock cooler I'd check to see if one of the push pins came loose.
Grab the cooler and wiggle it, don't be afraid of breaking it, you should pretty much be able to shake the entire computer if it is on their securely.

If it is an aftermarket cooler I'd check the nuts and bolts are nice and snug.

If everything seems fine I would take the cooler off, clean the thermal paste and start over installing the cooler.

The only time I've had a stock CPU get that hot is when the cooler was not completely secure.

This first and then follow Master_Bass's advice.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#7wildog2006Posted 4/20/2014 6:53:42 AM
lolman7712 posted...
EDIT: After a bit of assertive screwing and wire tidying, I screwed it back on and it's all secure now. I guess now I gotta get some thermal paste, and I'll take into consideration that CoolerMaster tech. Thanks for the assistance, everyone.

If you removed the heatsink you need to apply new thermal paste before trying to boot, unless you want even worse overheating issues.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#8lolman7712(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 10:51:06 AM
wildog2006 posted...
If you removed the heatsink you need to apply new thermal paste before trying to boot, unless you want even worse overheating issues.

Understood, I'll get right on it.

One last thing, when it comes to thermal paste does it matter if I got something cheap, or are there particularly effective brands for keeping things cool?
---
#9SnadadosPosted 4/20/2014 11:07:45 AM
Brand doesn't matter much as the difference is usually no more than a couple degrees c at best.
It would be best to get a ceramic based paste rather than a metal based paste as ceramic paste is non conductive so if you accidentally spill some you don't have to worry about it creating a short.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#10Sora_AnbuPosted 4/20/2014 11:16:38 AM
For paste I usually go with the rice grain method
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack