This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tales of Branbekka: Chapter III - Have You Played Dark Souls?

#11Arucard05(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 4:10:00 PM
arleas posted...
The part that kills me every time is when someone goes "Of course I love Dark souls, it's just like King's Field!" when it's not at all the same. It's like either they never played King's Field 1 or 2 or they're just saying it because they know they same developers were behind both games.

I've never played King's Field, but I've heard both Dark Souls and an Xbox 360 Indie game called BloodyCheckers compared to it on many occasions. Now I want to know what the hell King's Field is actually like.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
B<3R Well, I am an Aussie babe
#12ClouddxPosted 4/21/2014 4:21:35 PM(edited)
Really big fan of the King's Field Series, so when I got to play Demon/Dark Souls it was very nice.

Arucard05 posted...
arleas posted...
The part that kills me every time is when someone goes "Of course I love Dark souls, it's just like King's Field!" when it's not at all the same. It's like either they never played King's Field 1 or 2 or they're just saying it because they know they same developers were behind both games.

I've never played King's Field, but I've heard both Dark Souls and an Xbox 360 Indie game called BloodyCheckers compared to it on many occasions. Now I want to know what the hell King's Field is actually like.

They're similar as that they don't hold your hand. Both games offer a world that you need to explore in order to find things. DkS also has a lot of references to the KF series. While they might not look the same, even the combat is similar in that it requires timing and knowing your enemies moves and knowing what is most effective against certain types of enemies.

They were both pretty unforgiving games, and I enjoy a challenge. If you enjoyed the way Dark Souls told it's tale then you should enjoy King's Field.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#13arleasPosted 4/21/2014 5:01:33 PM
Clouddx posted...
They're similar as that they don't hold your hand. Both games offer a world that you need to explore in order to find things. DkS also has a lot of references to the KF series. While they might not look the same, even the combat is similar in that it requires timing and knowing your enemies moves and knowing what is most effective against certain types of enemies.

They were both pretty unforgiving games, and I enjoy a challenge. If you enjoyed the way Dark Souls told it's tale then you should enjoy King's Field.

That's a stretch. I wouldn't even call King's Field 1 unforgiving except for the very start of the game. You move a lot slower at first, you have low health and it seems almost anything can one shot you, but after you've played it a while the game almost becomes easy.

I don't often play games to completion (time and lack of interest usually makes me stop before it's done) but I managed to beat both of the King's Field games.

I found the island of Melenat to be an interesting place, and at the time the first person perspective was unique (to me). Nowadays you'd compare it to skyrim or oblivion and think of how slow it was in comparison.

Also as for "lots of references", I think pretty much every game by "From software" has references to the moonlight sword, Seath, Guyra and a bunch of stuff... I remember that in the Armored core games there was a moonlight sword available and it even had the signature special attack.

Anyway to the TC: If you enjoy a first person RPG and don't mind it being slow paced at first you should check it out. If you're impatient you probably won't like it though. I remember at the time there were lots of complaints about how slow everything moved (part of that may have been due to the playstation hardware being pushed too far).
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#14revolverPosted 4/21/2014 5:38:21 PM
Yeah, about 440 hours worth as it's the only game I've regularly played since it came out
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#15AxtlarPosted 4/21/2014 5:39:29 PM
Blobs_ posted...
Good Game, bad poll.

---
PM for 3DS code/Steam ID.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg
#16DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/21/2014 5:59:48 PM
Yes, and it sucked.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#17cody4783Posted 4/21/2014 6:17:10 PM(edited)
I'm sort of actively playing through it at the moment.

With all the ups and downs in the game, and the 325 or so times I've died in it so far (No, not exaggerating)...I STILL want to say the hardest, most spirit-curshing "F*** THIS S*** NO ONE CAN PLAY THIS!" part of the game was the very start.

When I was running around, over half encumbered because I didn't know any better, using some tattered rags I got off a zombie and looking like a piece of beef jerky to boot. Back when, hell, I didn't even know I COULD go the wrong way and walk to my almost certain doom at the start of the game.

The game told me nothing that would help me survive, and I was left to die. And die. And die again until slowly, I learned the mechanics and got "Better" at it---But the game stays with you, NEVER letting you forget that just about anything can kill you in three hits if you let your guard down. That is Dark Souls.

.......Sooooo yeah. As it stands, I've got 50 hours into it and have passed Anor Londo. It's good, unforgiving as butts, yes...But for every time you sit there screaming "BULL-F***ING HORSE S***" at the screen after you die to a boss for the 30th time, there's that ONE moment, when you kill him, and you see "VICTORY ACHIEVED", and it's then that you know you're better than whatever giant creature you just killed.

Oh and whoever thought allowing randomized greifing was a good idea...I'm ready to hire someone to just go to his house and f*** up whatever he's doing at random points during his day. Throw his cornflakes on the floor. Delete the document he was typing up. Draw in mud on the car he just washed. Anything to make his life as randomly, pointlessly annoying as he has made mine.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#18schadowPosted 4/21/2014 6:18:40 PM(edited)
The fun I had just didn't outweigh the agony I had.
---
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.
#19cody4783Posted 4/21/2014 6:19:30 PM
schadow posted...
The fun I had just didn't outweigh the agony I had.

Every time I finish a session playing the game, I ask myself "Am I actually having fun with this, or has my own ignorant pride just stepped in to 'Not let this stupid game beat me'?"
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg