This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

so rig just died on me. Got an offer of another system what do you guys think

#1xk_gmanPosted 4/20/2014 6:26:19 AM
Had an original i7 940 and a gtx 580 with 6gb of xms ram for years that served me very well Until recently when it started restarting randomly. At first it was once or twice a night until the problem got worse and worse untill the restarts were so frequent it wouldnt even boot.

So I tried to diagnose the problem, the psu, HD, ram and gfx card all ran fine in another rig so I came to conclusion it was either cpu or mobo which means I was screwd.

Anyways I got an offer of a pretty sweet system for cheap what do you think.

EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
I5 4670k overclocked to 4.6ghz
8GB corsair vengence ram
MSI g-43 gaming mobo.
128 GB samsung evo 840 ssd
1TB seagate HD
230 T corsair case.

The whole system built and tested by pros is about 800 or about $1100
What do you guys think. What kind of performance could I expect from this compared to my old rig and is it worth it
#2gamerdude555Posted 4/20/2014 6:33:27 AM
xk_gman posted...
Had an original i7 940 and a gtx 580 with 6gb of xms ram for years that served me very well Until recently when it started restarting randomly. At first it was once or twice a night until the problem got worse and worse untill the restarts were so frequent it wouldnt even boot.

So I tried to diagnose the problem, the psu, HD, ram and gfx card all ran fine in another rig so I came to conclusion it was either cpu or mobo which means I was screwd.

Anyways I got an offer of a pretty sweet system for cheap what do you think.

EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
I5 4670k overclocked to 4.6ghz
8GB corsair vengence ram
MSI g-43 gaming mobo.
128 GB samsung evo 840 ssd
1TB seagate HD
230 T corsair case.

The whole system built and tested by pros is about 800 or about $1100
What do you guys think. What kind of performance could I expect from this compared to my old rig and is it worth it

Salvage your parts instead.
---
gamers paradise
#3xk_gman(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 6:51:34 AM
Hmm well defo gonna try fix my current rig cause I forgot to mention I have been offered 500/$800 usd for it so in reality the new one will only be costing me about 300 due to making alot of it back on the sale of the current rig Or is that spec just not gonna cut it?
#4SnickleseedPosted 4/20/2014 6:57:19 AM
xk_gman posted...
I have been offered 500/$800 usd for it

Are they offering you that for it "as is"... as in, not booting up? Or is that what they'll give you once you fix the restarting problem? Because that would make a huge difference
---
not changing this sig until "being an idiot" is a moderation reason
#5happyscrub1Posted 4/20/2014 7:06:20 AM
How the hell did you kill it? Don't see how that computer could of died so fast.
---
Who is happyscrub? Click to find out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRaxB9eK1X4
#6xk_gman(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 7:24:39 AM
They will buy it as is, I have no idea why they are offering that much tbh but I aint gonna complain lol well the whole system was built in late 2008 except the gtx 580 which I bought when it first came out. Its had heavy use and through my own stupid fault and negelect I let crap and dust build up inside which probably contributed to it going faulty.

Just done abit more testing and it appears the sata ports on the mobo maybe dead.
#7SnickleseedPosted 4/20/2014 7:26:35 AM
If you can sell it as is... then sure, take the money and build yourself a whole new rig. :)
---
not changing this sig until "being an idiot" is a moderation reason
#8BeatItUpRightPosted 4/20/2014 7:29:56 AM
Imo it's the worst time to upgrade right now.

We don't know what will become normal for gaming, as Watch Dogs has made things interesting.

Will having an 8 core make a huge difference? will HT on i7's mean i5's get heavily beaten for next gen games? So many questions which we won't have the answer until Watch Dogs and other next gen made games like Batman come out.
---
Intel Pentium Pro @155mhz - 2MB 3dfx Voodoo Graphics - 4x 16MB SIMM ram - 32k Modem - Windows 98