This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long before PC gaming graphics will look better than real life?

#31dormcastePosted 4/20/2014 12:00:12 PM
Never. Not possible.
#32jakisthePosted 4/20/2014 12:01:15 PM(edited)
Lvthn posted...
SchoolRumble posted...
There is no better than real life

Actually, there definitely is, but achieving "graphics" that exceed it would require transmitting images directly to the brain or otherwise bypassing the eye.

Just as an example, you probably cannot even see the color indigo (some people can), but there's no reason you couldn't be made to. You also have limited vision at distance, which can obviously be enhanced (and in this regard some games already exceed real life for most people).

The real problem with such technology is how crappy you'd feel in real life after using it. Imagine going from having Superman's vision to having your regular ol' myopic vision.

That's not "better" than real life, that's taking more in than real life. Which is also impossible. since just having a larger draw distance doesn't mean you'll see it's contents any better...and the draw distance IRL is already pretty far. Superman doesn't see things in higher resolution, he can just zoom in from far away.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#33dormcastePosted 4/20/2014 12:01:02 PM
Now if you asked how long until gaming can simulate a 4D+ environement... well, that's a ways off
#34CatToyPosted 4/20/2014 12:02:21 PM
Scisor50 posted...
Why do some people make it seem like developers need to deposit money into a machine each time they make a cube in a game engine?

That's severely understating the issue.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#35pothocketPosted 4/20/2014 12:02:30 PM
The brain can only process so much information at a time. Eventually computers will be able to display more detailed information within a displayed image than what is contained within natural reflected light (which is what your eyes see)
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#36AceVirusPosted 4/20/2014 12:04:07 PM
They already look better than real life. . . Life is dull and dirty, games aren't. . .
#37dormcastePosted 4/20/2014 12:07:47 PM
AceVirus posted...
They already look better than real life. . . Life is dull and dirty, games aren't. . .

So edgy.
#38labelsPosted 4/20/2014 12:12:59 PM
Jprime666 posted...
pwnater777 posted...
Honestly, last night as I was watching Captain America 2, I was thinking about how some video games (during intense action scenes) already look better than "reality" (in this case just a film, though it cost millions to make).

flashier does not mean more realistic.

He said better, not realistic
---
Better call Saul
#39Jedi454(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 12:14:21 PM
I just think it will be amazing to see something better than real life to escape to. Artists paint a picture that can look amazing.
---
Get Good Kid.
#40CovenantPosted 4/20/2014 12:15:59 PM
labels posted...
He said better, not realistic

He said better, but his post implied that he meant realistic.