This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long before PC gaming graphics will look better than real life?

#51CELTEKKPosted 4/20/2014 3:06:51 PM(edited)
Whitemike20052 posted...
CELTEKK posted...
how can you expect something to look better than what you can base it off of?

dumb topic is dumb.

Thats probably one of the dumbest things ive ever heard.

I like the way you explained how what I said was dumb.

your brain can only process so much information. just because more information is displayed doesnt mean your brain is going to be able to process it.

example: you're color blind. an image displayed on a monitor wont help you see in color. you're still color blind. the only way to correct that is to go into the eye or brain and make it so that information can be processed.

technology can allow deaf people to hear things, for instance. I suppose this is the only way to actually enhance reality: implants or processors to aid your brain.
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
3770k@4.8
#52Mr_DelcroixPosted 4/20/2014 3:17:19 PM
It isn't possible to look better than real life. It would be impossible for human eyes to perceive.

In short: Never.
---
Wonder when they're going to realize that I don't care about karma?
#53ThatPersonGuyPosted 4/20/2014 3:47:43 PM
Honestly what's really going to be exciting is when AI and computing is so advanced that you can slip on a headset, go into a virtual sleep, and live through a lifetime in a separate world with no recollection of the previous one over the course of 5 minutes. Or perhaps better yet, create entire universes with extremely advanced AI in an afternoon. Or simulating every possible version of your own reality, with the ability to change or do anything or anyone you like.
---
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it"
- Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
#54zonobiaPosted 4/20/2014 3:50:43 PM
If by "better" you mean more realistic....then it won't EVER happen, because real life is the standard at which it is gauged to. At most, it could look as good as real life. Once you accomplish 100% realistic....anything beyond that is just artistic interpretation, and completely subjective.
#55OreoBoy206Posted 4/20/2014 4:04:31 PM
ThatPersonGuy posted...
Honestly what's really going to be exciting is when AI and computing is so advanced that you can slip on a headset, go into a virtual sleep, and live through a lifetime in a separate world with no recollection of the previous one over the course of 5 minutes. Or perhaps better yet, create entire universes with extremely advanced AI in an afternoon. Or simulating every possible version of your own reality, with the ability to change or do anything or anyone you like.

For some reason I could see this driving people insane..
#56ZBug_Posted 4/20/2014 4:20:13 PM
Mr_Delcroix posted...
It would be impossible for human eyes to perceive.

In short: Never.

Came here to say this.
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" - Light Yagami
NNID: LLBCrook - PSN: ZBugCrook
#57Master_FaustPosted 4/20/2014 5:23:40 PM(edited)
I'd say we're still at least 25 years away from PC gaming singularity. Definitely not until Shenmue III comes out, that's for sure.
Shenmue was the very first truly photo-realistic full-3D modeled game back in the days, it overcame tons of boundaries and opened such ways and visions for both PC and Console gaming that were never even thought about of before.
Shenmue II expanded on that even further and implemented and pioneered even more modeling, animation and rendering techniques that were never even heard of about, before it.

Shenmue was truly an innovative project that moved the entire game developing industry forward (both PC gamedevs AND Console gamedevs alike. Every single one of major game developers of that time dreamed to create something like what Shenmue achieved, what Shenmue represented, many to no avail. Shenmue was a true role model for entire planet's video game developing companies and studios of that time), by a huge step.
So it will be just natural if Shenmue comes back and simply MAKES the whole industry to perform a huge technological leap forward, again.

This is, of course, an almost "fairy tale"-like scenario in our present day and age, but even if not Shenmue III itself...someone definitely would come up with and make something as grandeur, as technologically advanced, as innovative for it's time, as what Shenmue been for "late 1998~mid 2001" period of video gaming industry's history.
---
I play these anytime and at any place: "Guitar Freaks" series, "Silent Hill" series, "The King of Fighters" series, X series, DDR.
#58JKatarnPosted 4/20/2014 5:16:11 PM(edited)
jake-sf posted...
When gaming will be at its worst, we'll be able to have games that look so good they look like real life, but the production value of a single room will be a few million dollars.

But hey, it'll all be fine and games will still be good. Because thats totally logical.

And GameFAQs will be there to compare benchmarks of that room:

"Dude, I get 200 FPS in the reception room of the White House in "Call of Duty: Take back 'Murica" with SLI GeForce 9760 Extreme 16TB...this game rocks!"
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#59JKatarnPosted 4/20/2014 5:22:33 PM
Jedi454 posted...
I just think it will be amazing to see something better than real life to escape to. Artists paint a picture that can look amazing.

If that's your definition of "better than real life", there's no shortage of games with highly stylized visuals that defy realistic norms/constraints.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#60JKatarnPosted 4/20/2014 5:23:45 PM
ThatPersonGuy posted...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Inner_Light_%28episode%29
---