This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long before PC gaming graphics will look better than real life?

#71JohnnyKoochPosted 4/20/2014 7:11:15 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
SchoolRumble posted...
There is no better than real life

I just want to say it's possible to get better than real life graphics by having things have unnatural levels of perfect symmetry and fractal patterns that are not reproducible by real life

look at a lawn in the real world. now imagine a lawn where every blade of grass was the same height, shape, area, and bent the same way.

Also, for perfect quality lawns, please check out a highly maintained football(futbol) field, and be amazed!
#72clowningPosted 4/20/2014 8:47:47 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
SchoolRumble posted...

I just want to say it's possible to get better than real life graphics by having things have unnatural levels of perfect symmetry and fractal patterns that are not reproducible by real life

look at a lawn in the real world. now imagine a lawn where every blade of grass was the same height, shape, area, and bent the same way.

That's not really "graphics" though.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#73NeninaPosted 4/21/2014 3:31:47 AM
Hmm... looking better than real life. Maybe if video games plugged into the brain and caused hallucinations, ruminations, synesthesia, and apophenia.
#74GoreGamerPosted 4/21/2014 4:00:31 AM
Probably never. We are hitting a power wall coupled with law of diminishing returns.
#75SpazH3dPosted 4/21/2014 4:16:50 AM
ChromaticAngel posted...
SchoolRumble posted...

Perfect symmetry makes games look fake and virtual. If you want real, you put in flaws in everything. You know, like real life.
---
- My vision is augmented
#76eragonman9Posted 4/21/2014 4:26:34 AM
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/polygon-count-diminishing-returns-consoles.jpeg
It will take longer and longer. I doubt I would see "lifelike" graphics in my lifetime, or at the very end.
---
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.
>[_]
#77BigB0ss13Posted 4/21/2014 11:43:50 AM
We will get graphics better than real life the year that the Holodeck was invented in the Star Trek universe
#78SchoolRumblePosted 4/23/2014 6:18:58 AM
CircleOfManias posted...
SchoolRumble posted...

You should go tell film directors to stop doing creative things with lighting, since that distances the film from real life and makes it look worse.

Are you serious? How using real world lighting making the real worlds 'graphics' better?
---
PSN: BlindyTwo
Gamertag: Blindy II
#79SinisterSlayPosted 4/23/2014 6:21:36 AM
I believe we managed real life looking graphics at around 1995?
But those were running at a frame a minute or more.

I'd say we could probably do real life looking graphics now if we wanted too.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence