This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts on Blizzard Ent company and their games?

#21HaganPosted 4/21/2014 8:19:20 AM
Blizzard was possibly the best developer ever, but then they decided to milk WoW, and a great MMO got boring right around when Cata was released. Gave them a second shot with Diablo 3, which in all honestly was the biggest let down I've ever experienced with any game ever, next to Perfect Dark Zero. Played the game for 2 weeks, never went back.

They are in the mediocore closet now.
---
XBL GT= illidan z PSN = HaganJR
Steam = mhagan1986 Origin = HaganJR
#22thegreatsquarePosted 4/21/2014 8:52:38 AM
I still haven't bought Diablo 3 because of always online requirement and RTS isn't my thing, so Blizzard might as well not exist.
---
What games look like on my 4yr old ASUS G73jh - http://www.overclock.net
/g/a/36947/asus-g73jh-screenshot-record-of-the-games-as-played-2013-retirement/
#23ShadowThaReaperPosted 4/21/2014 8:55:15 AM
Diablo 3 still sucks after 2 years, and they left the SC2 custom games scene to rot for 3 years before doing anything about it. Metzen is also a terrible writer nowadays. What an embarrassment.

They also milk WoW like crazy with microtransactions on top of a monthly fee.
#24my_name_is_EdPosted 4/21/2014 11:47:01 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
Metzen is also a terrible writer nowadays

he really is. it's quite saddening.
---
http://puu.sh/7uzXq.jpg
Our dearest SBAllen. "Admin by day. Sailor Scout by night."
#25GynthaeresPosted 4/21/2014 12:15:41 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
the problem with console diablo this time around is that you could smell it coming from a mile away even though they kept reassuring people that it was a "PC" game all-around...

Absolutely. I knew after about an hour of playing Diablo 3, shortly after it was released, that they were designing it around consoles.

I said from the start, that's why they limit you to four main abilities (plus a LMB / RMB), vs. Diablo 1 & 2 that let you pick up to nine abilities (I think). LMB/RMB, easily assigned to the triggers. Only four main abilities allowed? Hey, four face buttons, what a coincidence. And of course, potions on the bumpers.

I haven't played the console version, nor have I looked up the controls, but I figured that's how they'd do them. And again, I realized that the week of release. So when they finally announced a Diablo 3 console port, well... I wasn't surprised in the slightest. I was actually happy to hear about it, as it was more-or-less validation that I was right, and they had crippled the game somewhat to make it a console game.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#26Worknofun370Posted 4/21/2014 1:04:17 PM(edited)
Gynthaeres posted...

And [Starcraft 2's] balance is pretty screwed up.

How so? I think the game is pretty freaking balanced right now. There are some issues with the TvP matchups still. And as a zerg player I certainly think that Zerg is a bit weak, but overall I think the balance is pretty solid all things considered, so curious where you feel the balance is screwed up.

The rest of your post on SC2 I mostly agree with (though I don't find SC2 e-sports scene lackluster. Just not to the level of LoL or DOTA2 (And now I would argue CS.. that game is blowing up. Which makes me smile)). I do disagree that by focusing on the multiplayer to be competitive that it hurts the fun-factor. I don't disagree that it may impact it for you and others, but for me the opposite would have impacted my fun factor.

And seeing as the massive competitive community that SC/BW carried into the mid/late 2000's it's pretty obvious why Blizzard tailored the game in that direction.
#27ThePonyColliePosted 4/21/2014 12:46:49 PM
Their games are fun but not worth it to go though their client.
---
No Steam, no buy.
#28LaManoNeraIIPosted 4/21/2014 1:04:03 PM
They lost all their talent with Blizzard North

They've been nothing but a hollow shell since (see: SC 2 and Diablo 3 and their unwillingness to make a new WC)
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#29GynthaeresPosted 4/21/2014 1:36:21 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
Gynthaeres posted...

And [Starcraft 2's] balance is pretty screwed up.

How so? I think the game is pretty freaking balanced right now.

The rest of your post on SC2 I mostly agree with (though I don't find SC2 e-sports scene lackluster. Just not to the level of LoL or DOTA2 (And now I would argue CS.. that game is blowing up. Which makes me smile). I do disagree that by focusing on the multiplayer to be competitive that in hurts the fun-factor. I don't disagree that it may impact it for you and others, but for me the opposite would have impacted my fun factor.

And seeing as the massive competitive community that SC/BW carried into the mid/late 2000's it's pretty obvious why Blizzard tailored the game in that direction.

Balance-wise, at high levels, I think most people agree that Protoss is pretty imbalanced, and in need of a redesign overall. Beyond that, at highest levels, I'd say most consider it "okay".
Balance is pretty poor overall at low-to-medium skill levels, and team games are completely and totally imbalanced. Which I understand neither is the balance focus, but perhaps they should be, if they want to keep the casual playerbase.

I should also add that my views on balance are semi-unique. To a lot of people balance is "Is there a counter? Did you make mistakes?" If the answer is yes, the thing in question is balanced. To me, the pertinent relationship is "Skill it takes to get to + use the item in question vs. Skill to counter it." If this relationship isn't equal, the object in question is imbalanced, IMO. And SC2 has many things like this. Like EMP vs. Protoss, or Mutalisks in general.

Esports-wise, I say Riot beats them partially because of the huge tournaments Riot sponsors -- WCS doesn't really compare. But also partially due to tools that Riot offers its viewers. I was amazed to log into LoL the other day, and see that I could watch just random matches at will. That would be a cool feature for SC2.

As far as fun-factor goes... A lot of Starcraft 2's design is around keeping an artificial skill ceiling up, to separate the "bads" from the "goods". To me this impacts the fun-factor aspect.
For example, most other RTSes have some sort of "repeat queue" feature when you're training units. SC2 doesn't, because your macro is something you're constantly supposed to be thinking of. You're supposed to be constantly selecting your buildings, training units, training SCVs. This just gets in the way of what I want to do: Build a cool base and go fight with my army.
Or for Zerg, Queens and their Spawn Larva mechanic. It's a dull, boring mechanic that I really think should just be able to be set to Auto-cast. Or outright removed, akin to the HotS campaign.

Then there's the little stuff. Starcraft 2 is kept very simple and contrived, to keep it easy to watch and understand. There's nothing like complex armor/weapon relationships or morale. No cover, no advanced unit controls. Unit AI is very simplistic, and pathfinding is pretty poor (great for terrain, but gets stuck on units/buildings). Nothing can really shoot while moving, because stutter-step micro, while it looks absurd, is a valued "skill". Unit scale is entirely out of whack, which made sense in SC1 due to technological limitations, but these days isn't as justifiable.

And so on and so forth. Lots of little issues I'd attribute to a focus on making SC2 an e-sport, and attracting / pleasing Brood Wars players, rather than trying to make a fun and interesting game. Which isn't what they did with the transition from WC1 -> WC2 -> SC -> WC3. SC2 felt like a step backwards, rather than forwards.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#30UtterMoonPosted 4/21/2014 1:43:49 PM
I am a big fan...or..well at least I was at one point. I think that Blizzard should start actually doing stuff...maybe a new IP, and I think they should try to push boundaries...instead of sitting comfortably in the past.

And Titan...what the hell is it? And why did they stop talking about it....

Also Starcraft Ghost...

I mean its cool that they're updating WoW...finally...to a more acceptable level of visuals, but I don't understand how a company could do so very little with the massive amount of money they have...