This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the Borderlands game stand-alone, or should you play the first one first?

#1BendoHendoPosted 4/20/2014 7:33:31 PM
Thinking about getting Borderlands 2 GOTY, but would I miss anything by skipping 1?
#2ShubPosted 4/20/2014 7:35:46 PM
The plots are connected but there is no need to have played 1 to play/understand/enjoy 2.
Both games have pros and cons and I recommend playing both, the main con of BL1 is the extreme repetitiveness of its side missions, so if you do side missions in games (in general)... don't do too many of them in BL1.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3CatToyPosted 4/20/2014 7:42:26 PM
The plot of the first game is pretty much non existent. The second game doesn't technically retcon the plot for the first game as much as it fills in the blanks. Think a reversed madlib. The first game drops a few words, and the second game rights the rest of the story around it.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#4PokenubPosted 4/20/2014 7:43:31 PM
Play the second and then the first. You'll appreciate how much better the first is that way.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#5ArkonBladePosted 4/21/2014 12:48:18 AM
don't have to play the first one to enjoy the second but friends will help a lot.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#6AlleRacingPosted 4/21/2014 2:19:03 AM
The first is definitely worth a play, it even does a couple things better than the second game.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#7overkillwfo1978Posted 4/21/2014 2:22:20 AM
It's crazy how much hate B1 gets. I loved that game when it was released. Played the hell out of it.... I may boot it up just to check it out again. The Borderlands series is awesome imo...
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
#8BeknessPosted 4/21/2014 2:43:36 AM
I prefer the first one to the second one.

The side quests aren't repetitive IMO. The only ones I can see as MAYBE being repeated are the "circles of slaughter" and the finding gun part ones (but they're vastly spread out throughout the game).

The side quests that are repetitive are in the DLC. Collecting brains for TK, the Moxxi fighting crap (way more tedious than the circle of slaughter).

Anyway, I love the gameplay, the loot system and yeah, I'm pretty obsessed with it tbqh.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/ R<3B xx
Babes & I Now Playing - Mercenary Kings
#9Moorish_IdolPosted 4/21/2014 5:13:18 AM
Borderlands 2 makes minor references to BL1, and there are many returning characters. That said, you can play BL2 and not feel lost at all. They reintroduce all the characters, explain plot points, etc.
#10xKynOxPosted 4/21/2014 5:23:11 AM
Pokenub posted...
Play the second and then the first. You'll appreciate how much better the first is that way.

this
i played BL 1 for 100's of hours,i have played BL2 for 3 hours it's disappointing and dull