This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kingdoms of Amalur worth it on sale?

#1Silver Shadow XPosted 4/20/2014 6:38:30 PM
It kind of looks like Fable or...WoW, but single player. Worth it though? I will ask two questions:

1. Can you buy property or otherwise set up some form of automated income?

2. Does the story suck? I wouldn't play a game like this just for the action, honestly. Maybe for exploration though, if the world is nice I suppose.
---
I suppose I should probably update this signature soon.
#2SpazH3dPosted 4/20/2014 6:44:32 PM
You can indeed buy homes.

The story is intriguing, but not that important. The combat and exploration makes up for it.

I would say get the whole collection (3 DLC packs from steam) if you are going to purchase it.
---
- My vision is augmented
#3jake-sfPosted 4/20/2014 6:46:12 PM
The combat and exploration are terrible... I don't get what people want from a game if they think both of these elements from KoA are even worthy of mention.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#4ChromaticAngelPosted 4/20/2014 6:49:52 PM
Silver Shadow X posted...
1. Can you buy property or otherwise set up some form of automated income?

property yes, automated income, kinda sorta. canneroc gives you some expensive vendor trash on a regular basis. one of the DLCs let you set up alliances with other countries and have them pay tribute to you (Dead Kel). your automated income is a drop in the bucket compared to what you get by picking up crap and selling it at the nearest vendor.

Silver Shadow X posted...
2. Does the story suck?

The story is very good, written by a best seller author, R.A. Salvatore. (same guy who invented Drizz't Do'Urden if you know who he is)
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#5SpazH3dPosted 4/20/2014 6:51:54 PM
jake-sf posted...
The combat and exploration are terrible... I don't get what people want from a game if they think both of these elements from KoA are even worthy of mention.

My "hates everything" tag is surprisingly fitting 80% of the time. Oh tell us, jake, why is the combat and exploration is terrible? Let's compare it to the popular games like skyrim, fable or uhhh... guild wars 2.
---
- My vision is augmented
#6Moorish_IdolPosted 4/20/2014 6:58:53 PM
KoA was pretty hit and miss for me. At times I got really into it; at other times I was bored out of my mind.

I paid 9.99 for it (without DLC) and felt the fun times I did have were worth it. I wouldn't pay more than that. So at 5.99, it's a good buy.
#7Silver Shadow X(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2014 8:08:40 PM
I see. Sounds like it may be worth buying that 11.99 pack then to get everything. Guess I'll check some more vids and come to a decision. Thanks for the opinions.
---
I suppose I should probably update this signature soon.
#8ShadowThaReaperPosted 4/21/2014 6:35:34 AM
I like it.
#9jake-sfPosted 4/21/2014 8:32:14 AM
SpazH3d posted...
jake-sf posted...

My "hates everything" tag is surprisingly fitting 80% of the time. Oh tell us, jake, why is the combat and exploration is terrible? Let's compare it to the popular games like skyrim, fable or uhhh... guild wars 2.

*drum rolls*

I hate all those games.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#10KillerTrufflePosted 4/21/2014 8:35:17 AM
jake-sf posted...
SpazH3d posted...
jake-sf posted...

*drum rolls*

I hate all those games.

Like he said... hates everything.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23