This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How's tomb raider?

#1Marshall_LawPosted 4/20/2014 7:51:33 PM
It's cheap enough on gmg that I might get it. What comes in the game if the year? Also I HATE the old TR games but only the gameplay. The controls and gameplay made thing harder than it should be. Loved the story and theme though.

Advice?
---
Six up never switch up Love, Life, loyalty, knowledge,wisdom,understanding. PSN kenjamin69
#22Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 4/20/2014 7:58:28 PM
I think it's definitely worth the 7.50 on GMG. The game controls well and the platforming sections aren't so tight that they're very hard to do. It's similar to Assassin's Creed where you stick to most things and a lot of the harder sections are scripted running events which work really well. The game of the year edition seems to be one extra tomb and then a bunch of multiplayer DLC. I haven't played multiplayer but it's pretty bad from what I've heard. Even if it was just the base game for 7.50 is would be worth it though.
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#3sefsefsefsefPosted 4/20/2014 8:14:41 PM
I paid full price when it first came out, and quickly beat it. I felt I got my money's worth. I played it again a month or two ago, and still really liked it. It's probably my favorite game of 2013. At least one of them.
#4StormKMDPosted 4/20/2014 8:18:21 PM
I agree with you TC, the controls are pretty lame in the first games. I actually got the 2013 one for free with my GPU. It's a pretty good game. The graphics are very nice, very nice. You'll look at sights and be like: "Whoa. That's awesome."

As far as gameplay goes, it's nothing really special. Also, I played the game on the hardest difficulty, it wasn't really that hard haha. It's all about the headshots really. But the environment and graphics were so good that it kept me going.

Also be sure to take plenty of screenshots ;)
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K Phantek PH-TC14PE_BK | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | 1500GBs HDD | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD
#52Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 4/20/2014 8:22:56 PM
They also turned it into mostly a 3rd person shooter/adventure game rather than a platforming puzzle game with some shooting. I feel like they did a good job and all the guns (and the bow) feel really satisfying to shoot. There was also a good amount of exploration where you unlock new ways to get around and you can go back and use them in a few places
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#6BogePosted 4/20/2014 8:23:00 PM
I loved the first Tomb Raider. I really like the new Tomb Raider. TC, I think you'd enjoy the new one much more than the old ones. It's a more typical 3rd person game now, no quirky controls.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#7Dark_SpiretPosted 4/20/2014 9:06:22 PM(edited)
its a great action game with some modern trappings.

bad--
slow start(with most of the games' qte's and is extremely hand holdy)
lots of qte's
bigger emphasis on linear set-piece moments
shallow upgrading/hunting systems
mediocre side characters
no real replay value (you can literally do everything in one run)
poor tomb raiding with lackluster puzzles(if you didint care for this in the originals then consider this a plus)
tacked on multiplayer(most of the goty extras are for this)

good--
satisfying(and brutal) combat
smooth platforming
nice visuals
good extras which actually make you want to search for them
nice exploration moments
decent story overall (tho does have its share of stupidity too) that has some great franchise moments towards the end.
solid length at 10-12hours or upwards of 18-20 to 100% with good pacing.

its worth the money.
---
Currently playing: Resident Evil 4 - Just Cause 2 - Dark Souls 2
#8lazycomplifePosted 4/20/2014 9:08:11 PM
I got it for $5 on amazon in december, and I was pleasantly surprised. I found it hard to put down.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027 - Friend safari: ICE type: Delibird, Bergmite, Dewgong
#9romsnbombsPosted 4/21/2014 5:29:13 AM(edited)
StormKMD posted...
Also, I played the game on the hardest difficulty, it wasn't really that hard haha. It's all about the headshots really.

Also be sure to take plenty of screenshots ;)

Indeed, the game can be quite easy, but satisfying especially with a mouse. I mostly went through the game with handgun headshots. But the rifle was pretty cool as well
---
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB | VG248QE G-Sync