This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tech help on an old Scumm game

#11Freelance_WolfPosted 4/21/2014 3:35:53 PM(edited)
Well that's unusual. Maybe it's only for DoTT. I just loaded up Indy and Fate of Atlantis and disabling voices didn't mute the SFX. I thought it was like this for every LA SCUMM game. Not sure how I can assist you now.

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#12pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2014 5:54:19 AM
So I ended up just dealing with it and the voices are starting to grow on me.

Just playing the game again I'm reminded of why it's considered such a classic in the first place, it's so open and non-linear that there's always something to do. Getting stuck on something isn't a problem because there's tons of puzzles that can be worked on at once. Hell, It's possible to complete Bernard's timeline (get the diamond) before Laverne even drops out of the tree. It's an amazing approach to P&C gameplay and it kinda makes me sad now how linear the genre is today.
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#13Freelance_WolfPosted 4/22/2014 8:25:12 AM(edited)
I definitely agree with you there. I believe that on the whole. the older adventure games were infinitely better. While I do like some games still being made today, they lack a certain something that made adventure games awesome. I think it's because in the past, it was a hot genre and lots of these games were made by big, well known, established companies like Sierra and LucasArts and they had the budget to make really cool adventure games.. Now that the genre has died out, it's only the smaller indie-like companies keeping it alive now, and while I appreciate them doing this, it just doesn't feel the same. They obviously don't have the same resources.

Also, I am not liking the whole 'episodic' structure some companies are doing to adventure gaming. Taking Telltale as an example, all their games (maybe except TWD) only take place in a few locations throughout the entire game, which definitely hurts. I am more used to traveling all over the country, or the world, in my adventure gaming exploits, seeing over a dozen new characters and new places.

No idea if anyone agrees with me, but all of my favourite games were back in the heyday, like Sam and Max Hit the Road, the Gabriel Knight series and Indy and the Fate of Atlantis. LucasArts in particular made consistently good games. I miss them.

---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."