This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

not sure if hard drive is dead or corrupted

#1kickthegnomePosted 4/21/2014 12:44:26 PM
I just put a laptop back together but I'm getting an error. The first time I booted it It booted to the windows splash screen and just never loaded. Now whenever I boot it I see the bios splash screen and then after the splash screen the computer seems to freeze up and not do anything.

If i get it to system diagnosis and run start up desks, hard disk tests, etc. They all fail because of the hard drive. I believe the error I'm getting is an fx30 error (or f3xo).

Is the hd dead, or just corrupted.
#2KnifegashPosted 4/21/2014 12:56:17 PM
Try repairing your MBR

If that fails you could have corrupt/unreadable sectors, in which case yeah replace the HDD
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#3betatechPosted 4/21/2014 1:12:26 PM(edited)
If you can, try running the HDD makers utility I know at least seagate make a bootable version or chkdsk from the windows installer.

If it is the MBR then I believe you use the Bootsect command for it, at least that's what I used when I had the blinking cursor issue.

Or if you want to isolate any chance it could be the laptop itself you could also try testing it on a different system to make sure it isn't the laptop that's faulty using either as a slave or by running from a bootdisc e.g. the windows 7 installer.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#4JKatarnPosted 4/21/2014 2:23:13 PM
Knifegash posted...
Try repairing your MBR

If that fails you could have corrupt/unreadable sectors, in which case yeah replace the HDD

Unless you have a TON of corrupt/unreadable sectors you shouldn't need to replace the HD if there's mechanically nothing wrong with it - scandisk/other HD utilities will simply mark those sectors as unusable.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#5kickthegnome(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 3:46:46 PM
how do I get it to go to where I need to repair the mbr?

I assume a bootable disk so i can access command prompt
#6Lonestar2000Posted 4/21/2014 6:43:11 PM
kickthegnome posted...
how do I get it to go to where I need to repair the mbr?

I assume a bootable disk so i can access command prompt

Boot off of your windows install disk.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335