This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You know what the worst part about Mass Effect 3 was?

#101LostHisHardcorePosted 4/23/2014 11:41:16 AM
The gradual decline into a linear feeling third person shooter with relationships was my main gripe.
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"
#102pothocketPosted 4/23/2014 12:06:03 PM
The first ME is obviously just Star Wars. Welcome to the Jedi council, Shepard. Your first task is to hunt down Darth Seran.
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#103SneakiestNegPosted 4/23/2014 12:14:10 PM
The soundtrack beats Williams though. The first time I booted it up I knew that this game would blow my inner nerd away. Virgil will be on my funeral.
#104DaedalusExPosted 4/23/2014 12:22:04 PM
Ikari Gendo posted...
It's not a deus ex machina if it's at the beginning and lasts literally the whole story.

It wasn't mentioned at all in the first or second game. It was pretty obvious the writers had no idea how they were going to resolve the Reaper problem prior to writing the third game.
#105SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/23/2014 7:20:28 PM
It's not Deus ex Machina if it's a plot point at any time before the resolution.

And even so, it comes about through the character's actions, and doesn't do much to "save" them.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#106DaedalusExPosted 4/23/2014 7:38:39 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#107DaedalusExPosted 4/23/2014 7:49:50 PM
It doesn't matter what it's called. They brought in a device during the final act that previously had no mention whatsoever solely for the purpose of resolving the overarching conflict. That's lame. I mean the whole reason the story of the first ME was intriguing was because it left you thinking "how the hell is Shepherd going to beat this unfathomably powerful force?"

In the end, the answer just wasn't satisfying.
#108SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/23/2014 8:04:08 PM(edited)
DaedalusEx posted...
It doesn't matter what it's called. They brought in a device during the final act that previously had no mention whatsoever solely for the purpose of resolving the overarching conflict. That's lame. I mean the whole reason the story of the first ME was intriguing was because it left you thinking "how the hell is Shepherd going to beat this unfathomably powerful force?"

In the end, the answer just wasn't satisfying.

So it only would have been fine if it was made clear in the second act?

Clearly by your logic, the premise of the first one would also fall flat if it was introduced in the first act.

And what would have been a satisfying resolution? The only one I can see is using a superior level of technology, which they did. The alternatives are alien or divine intervention or a crapsack ending. Now, I'm ABSOLUTELY fine with crapsack endings in general, but I doubt it would be any more satisfying in a trilogy that you spend about 100 hours minimum in.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#109Cool_Dude667Posted 4/23/2014 8:49:50 PM
LostHisHardcore posted...
The gradual decline into a linear feeling third person shooter with relationships was my main gripe.

This. The change from ME1 to ME2 to ME3 is crazy, they 'polished' off too much to appeal even more to the casual market
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#110SlaynPosted 4/24/2014 3:24:01 AM
SnowxNeverLeft posted...
pothocket posted...
Sinfullyvannila posted...

The plot of the first one was the standard WRPG archetype. Something ancient threatens to return and you have to unite the factions against it. They end up using a precursor civilizations means to solve their problems.

Yeah, and if it was the plot of a JRPG, Shepard would a be a 16 year old orphan, whose parents were killed by some military raid. Now the commander of that raid is trying to take over the world, but it turns out he's just a puppet for some alien menace that is trying to wipe out all of reality!

That doesn't sound like the plot of, say, FFXII or Chrono Trigger.
JRPGs are way more diverse, even if they have their share of stereotypes.
What you described, though, is pretty much the first ME's plot, minus the "16 year old" part.

What he described is so similar to the story of ME1, I think it might be a real clever troll.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.