This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You know what the worst part about Mass Effect 3 was?

#111Forever Shadowed(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 7:25:12 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
It doesn't matter what it's called. They brought in a device during the final act that previously had no mention whatsoever solely for the purpose of resolving the overarching conflict. That's lame. I mean the whole reason the story of the first ME was intriguing was because it left you thinking "how the hell is Shepherd going to beat this unfathomably powerful force?"

In the end, the answer just wasn't satisfying.

So it only would have been fine if it was made clear in the second act?

Clearly by your logic, the premise of the first one would also fall flat if it was introduced in the first act.

And what would have been a satisfying resolution? The only one I can see is using a superior level of technology, which they did. The alternatives are alien or divine intervention or a crapsack ending. Now, I'm ABSOLUTELY fine with crapsack endings in general, but I doubt it would be any more satisfying in a trilogy that you spend about 100 hours minimum in.

No, the reason why it would have been better if it was introduced in the first or second act is because it means the writers had an overarching plan, and this device would have been fed to us using bits and pieces.

Instead of coming from nowhere, and being written literally like it was thought up on the spot, it woulda been the culmination of foreshadowing and clever writing. Which, based on ME1, they were more than capable of doing.

But, thanks to EA difference prioritizations, thanks to losing writers, the story went off the rails and they probably went "oh ****" and scrambled for a half-hearted solution.

I heard the rumors of that "dark energy" ending/plot device that were apparently going to use at first but stopped. That woulda been fantastic. Nerdy and scientific as hell (which is no doubt why it was axed) but it woulda tied into the hard SciFi orgins of the series and satisfied the real SciFi fans of the game.
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#112SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/24/2014 7:35:12 AM(edited)
It was foreshadowed by the Geth conflict though.

And the series was NOT hard sci-fi. It was contemporary sci-fi.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#113Forever Shadowed(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 7:34:53 AM

The one where you have the chance to resolve peacefully in the end, only for the Reapers to come in and go "Synthetics will always kill Organics, so we will kill you both first"?
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#114SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/24/2014 7:36:09 AM
Forever Shadowed posted...

The one where you have the chance to resolve peacefully in the end, only for the Reapers to come in and go "Synthetics will always kill Organics, so we will kill you both first"?

Yep.
---
#115CheeseCurlsPosted 4/24/2014 7:52:36 AM
everything about ME3's plot arc was stupid except for maybe tuchanka

The crucible to me is basically a DEM and a macguffin, its a DEM to the ME series, but a macguffin to ME3.

The Combat was still bad, at least in ME1 you could string powers together to awesome effect, in ME3 you can basically forget they exist and play cover shooter for 25 hours

The story problems started with ME2 though. ME2 had pretty good character based story, but right from the beginning the main plot was just botched. Seriously, lets kill the main character off, then have some random hated organization bring him back, then make every decide the reapers didnt exist !@#% the end to the first game.

ME2 should've been about searching out remnants of past reaper invasions to and prepping the galaxy for war. You could've still had the whole collector arc in there. ME3 then could've been about fighting a war that you have prepped for, something the reapers have never had to deal with.

So yea, ME3 plot sucked horribly, but I still blame ME2 for it. ME2 at least had some redeeming qualities
---
"In our culture, the phenomena known as emotion is considered a mental disorder."
#116SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/24/2014 8:13:10 AM(edited)
The Combat was still bad, at least in ME1 you could string powers together to awesome effect, in ME3 you can basically forget they exist and play cover shooter for 25 hours

Seemed the opposite to me. I was playing Vanguard and Soldier(only played Soldier in the first) and I had to stick around in cover to avoid getting destroyed in the first one. In the third I was almost never in cover. I was constantly stringing Rush powers with shotgun blasts and melee, with Liara supporting me from behind.

Something can't be a McGuffin and also Deus ex Machina. McGuffins only ever act as a motivation, DEMs serve as a resolution. People gotta learn what the terms they use mean.

Jeez, the thing is, I don't even particularly like ME's writing(most of the NPCs were terribly written to cave in to whatever Shepard tells them, for instance), but so many people get this **** wrong. You guys don't have to misapply inappropriate writing practices for your opinion to be valid. You can simply dislike something as is.
---
#117CheeseCurlsPosted 4/24/2014 8:11:44 AM

Seemed the opposite to me. I was playing Vanguard and Soldier(only played Soldier in the first) and I had to stick around in cover to avoid getting destroyed in the first one. In the third I was almost never in cover. I was constantly stringing Rush powers with shotgun blasts and melee, with Liara supporting me from behind.

Something can't be a McGuffin and also Deus ex Machina. McGuffins only ever act as a motivation, DEMs serve as a resolution. People gotta learn what the terms they use mean.

Jeez, the thing is, I don't even particularly like ME's writing, but so many people get this **** wrong. You guys don't have to misapply inappropriate writing practices to validate your opinion. You can simply dislike something as is.
except it can be both, if you look at the larger picture of the series it is a DEM, if you look at only ME3 it is a macguffin. I do know what the terms mean.

Also soldier was completely pointless in ME1, it was extremely poorly designed.
---
"In our culture, the phenomena known as emotion is considered a mental disorder."
#118SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/24/2014 8:32:46 AM(edited)
A McGuffin's function is to drive the plot forward with no effect story effect other than motivational value to the characters. The entire point is for it to be pointless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin#Alfred_Hitchcock

And it's just not a DEM by any means. Not even close. Just because a means of resolution doesn't appear until the final act doesn't means it's a DEM. SOOO many stories revolve around resolutions that aren't apparent until the final act. If it's a plot point before the resolution, it doesn't qualify as DEM.
---
#119pothocketPosted 4/24/2014 8:49:53 AM
Yeah, they were building a super weapon. Needing the resources to build it was the driving force behind what moved the plot forward. It was the reason Shepard was visiting all those locations int he first place. MacGuffin.
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#120easymodexzPosted 4/24/2014 10:50:53 AM
I felt that ME2 had the best dialogue and characters. ME3 had the best combat and character configuration system.

Did not like ME1 at all except for its value in starting the franchise.