This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You know what the worst part about Mass Effect 3 was?

#41ShadowThaReaperPosted 4/22/2014 9:07:07 AM
pothocket posted...
Yet must be one those who thinks the first game is the only one that's an RPG because it played like crap or whatever logic it is that you guys never seem to be able to explain. "Streamlining' isn't a negative, especially when the game in question NEEDS streamlining.

Streamlining is a negative when it has a negative impact. ME2 was a crappy Gears of War clone.

Removing complexity in this day and age is always bad, because it's never replaced by a different complex system. It's just made more simplified to the detriment of anyone who likes any bit of depth.

Streamlining is codeword for removing everything that gives depth. It should be about replacing a complex system with one just as complex, but made easier to understand.
#42Jprime666Posted 4/22/2014 9:09:37 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
pothocket posted...
Yet must be one those who thinks the first game is the only one that's an RPG because it played like crap or whatever logic it is that you guys never seem to be able to explain. "Streamlining' isn't a negative, especially when the game in question NEEDS streamlining.

Streamlining is a negative when it has a negative impact. ME2 was a crappy Gears of War clone.

Removing complexity in this day and age is always bad, because it's never replaced by a different complex system. It's just made more simplified to the detriment of anyone who likes any bit of depth.

Streamlining is codeword for removing everything that gives depth. It should be about replacing a complex system with one just as complex, but made easier to understand.

It's a weird day when I agree with shadowthareaper, but I think they went too far with streamlining Mass Effect 2. I can agree that ME1 needed some work, but they pretty stripped away most RPG gameplay elements.

The Elder Scrolls is a series that also suffers from this.
---
Indeed! Verily, I say... Ergo!
#43pothocketPosted 4/22/2014 9:16:05 AM(edited)
I'm still going to need someone to explain what these 'RPG elements' are because my vocabulary might be different than yours. Like how Shadow is confusing depth with complexity and calling ME2 a gears clone. I can't have a conversation with that level of ignorance.
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#44clowningPosted 4/22/2014 9:32:50 AM
pothocket posted...
I'm still going to need someone to explain what these 'RPG elements' are because my vocabulary might be different than yours. Like how Shadow is confusing depth with complexity and calling ME2 a gears clone. I can't have a conversation with that level of ignorance.

---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#45Emperor_mateusPosted 4/22/2014 9:46:27 AM
I like rpg's and all, but I thought the rpg stuff in the first Mass effect was terrible and did't mind seeing it go. I wouldn't have minded seeing it reworked into something better, but the mass effect 2 and 3 streamlining worked fine for me.

As for the story. I think Bioware written themselves into a corner in the first two games which made beating the reapers impossible without some kind of device.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#46ShadowThaReaperPosted 4/22/2014 9:48:24 AM
Quoting someone you agree with, and not posting your own thought and opinions doesn't strengthen their argument. It just makes you look like a little follower tool who can't think for himself.

pothocket posted...
Like how Shadow is confusing depth with complexity

Not quite. Removing the complexity removes the depth if you don't take special care to preserve it with your newly simplified game mechanics.

and calling ME2 a gears clone. I can't have a conversation with that level of ignorance.

You're right. You can't have this conversation, because you're not intellectually equipped for it. I'm not ignorant. You are.

You can't see past your biases to see the truth of ME2. It plays exactly like Gears of War, but with force powers. It's overly reliant on the cover system, it has regenerating health, and every enemy is a bullet sponge. So you're doing nothing but hiding behind chest high walls the entire game.

It does a worse job at presenting itself as a world than Gears of War does, though.
Go through town area, talk to person to gain mission, go to transport area to transport yourself to instanced, disconnected mission area. It all feels so rigid.
#47CELTEKKPosted 4/22/2014 9:49:25 AM
pothocket posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
The end of the rollarcoaster is always boring. This is nothing new.

This makes no sense when applied to how a story is structured.

actually, it does make perfect sense. it's called plot structure. here's a simple image for you:

http://staff.fcps.net/tcarr/shortstory/graph.gif
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
3770k@4.8
#48imthestuntmanPosted 4/22/2014 9:55:34 AM
Im pretty sure the worst part about it was the community for the first 3 or 4 months after release. It sucked.
---
These minor spelling errors were brought to you by an ipad having no real feedback to enable me to know when i mistype and my own laziness.
#49ShadowThaReaperPosted 4/22/2014 9:57:58 AM
imthestuntman posted...
Im pretty sure the worst part about it was the community for the first 3 or 4 months after release. It sucked.

Only if you're some contrarian fanboy who gets off on defending Bioware for bad writing. You probably got super upset over it.

They're not the problem. You are.
#50SinisterSlayPosted 4/22/2014 10:01:30 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
and every enemy is a bullet sponge.

The heck you smoking?
ME1 had way more bullet sponge than ME2 and 3 did.
ME1 was so bad with that that you didn't even have ammo, you were expected to just sit their pointing your gun at giant mech enemies firing non stop.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence