This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I'm looking at this laptop advice?

#1stalemate_666Posted 4/23/2014 4:31:02 PM(edited)
http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/e440/?sb=:00000025:000038E1:

Lenovo ThinkPad E440

Intel Core i3-4000M Processor (3MB Cache, 2.40GHz)

Intel Integrated HD Graphics

4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM

6 cell Li-Ion Battery 48WH - 75+ Battery

$609

So yeah I'm just wondering if this is a good price/deal I want this laptop for school (computer programming) and for light gaming

What's the difference between Intel Wireless-N 7260 2X2 BGN+Bluetooth and
ThinkPad b/g/n Wireless BT Combo (1x1 BGN & BT4.0) and any other advice that comes to mind.
---
psn: Stalemate666
#2Majoras_pantsPosted 4/23/2014 4:32:37 PM
ThinkPads have great keyboards. Best I've used outside of macbooks.

If you're not going to go apple, that's the brand I'd recommend. But I think you could find a better deal. But not so much better that I'd say that's a bad one.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#3stalemate_666(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2014 4:35:49 PM(edited)
Majoras_pants posted...
ThinkPads have great keyboards. Best I've used outside of macbooks.

If you're not going to go apple, that's the brand I'd recommend. But I think you could find a better deal. But not so much better that I'd say that's a bad one.

Yeah the keyboard and the long battery life and the things I'm really interested at, and it's 20 off today only randomly... so that factors in I can get it for 589 without fingerprint reader (which I don't think I need)

Also I am in canada and the dollar took a decent hit recently and hasn't gone back to par quite yet.
---
#4Majoras_pantsPosted 4/23/2014 4:46:23 PM
I'm in Canada too. I get that.

I'd say it's a solid deal.

You could probably get a more powerful machine for that price, but you wont get the build quality.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#5stalemate_666(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2014 4:51:51 PM
Majoras_pants posted...

You could probably get a more powerful machine for that price, but you wont get the build quality.

or the battery life speaking of which is a 62WH significantly better then the 48 WH because it's only 10 bucks to upgrade (and I swore it was 30 yesterday)
---
#6DoramiPosted 4/26/2014 6:13:25 AM
Thinkpad b/g/n means (and most labeled wifi cards with the vendor name) means they sourced it from an OEM and relabeled it.

In the E440's case, the Thinkpad b/g/n is a Realtek card of some kind (same for most Thinkpads). This is bad if you end up using Linux on it, because the Realtek modules are not stable.

1x1 refers to band support and signal strength, but because the cards are from different manufacturers, 1x1 and 2x2 might not give you the results you'd expect.

The praise you hear about Thinkpads are mostly about the T, X, and W series. The L series keyboard is on par with the T/X/W, but the E series keyboard is quite different. L series keyboard is snappy and gives some audio feedback. E series keyboard is mushy and silent (except for the bottoming out noise).
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#7LordSeiferPosted 4/26/2014 7:26:52 AM
stalemate_666 posted...
Majoras_pants posted...

or the battery life speaking of which is a 62WH significantly better then the 48 WH because it's only 10 bucks to upgrade (and I swore it was 30 yesterday)

its about 25% better
---
^ this