This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you "create" your own internet cable?

#1XxTwisted26xXPosted 4/23/2014 8:57:02 PM
So I just recently upgraded from ATT DSL to Comcast Cable internet, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to "thread" (I dunno if thats the correct term) a cable? When the Comcast guys came over they said they can only make 1 cable input in the wall. However, I just realized the one they did in the living room doesn't give the best signal. I want to move my Modem to the master bedroom, but the cable coming out of the wall in the bedroom is like... cut off for some reason. I was wondering if theres a way to make it compatible with the Modem? Like do I have to cutt of the end of the cable and attach some kind of add apter? Really dont want to pay the Comcast dudes 100 bucks to come fix it :/.
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
#2WyzeGyePosted 4/23/2014 8:59:24 PM
you just gotta get a wire crimper and the right connector, cable too if you need more distance
---
http://puu.sh/8hi9W/9082c43c30.png
#3Master_BassPosted 4/23/2014 9:07:34 PM(edited)
Are you talking about an RJ11 (standard phone line cable)? It's not very hard to terminate those. You just need a new head for the cable and a crimping tool like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dekcell-RJ45-Crimping-Stripper-Cutter/dp/B000QXNXPK

Also, make a note of what order the cables were in. That's important, of course.

Edit: Oh you probably mean a coax. I only saw DSL skimming the first time. I've never messed with those. Look up a guide about it and see if it's something you think you can do.

http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/coax-cable-end-connector-installation.html
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#4XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2014 9:08:01 PM
Im not sure what you call them... but I went through all the houses old construction random stuff e have in the box and I have a set fo these Coaxial Twist on Connectors that look like the ones the Comcast guys set up. The only problem is the actual cable coming out of the wall is like... knotted or something. Its looks like whoever made the house was thinking about make a cable output for the room, then decided not to finish it and like seared and knotted the end.
---
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
#5XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 4:43:23 PM
Anyone?
---
#6KillerTrufflePosted 4/24/2014 4:47:56 PM
I've only serviced standard CAT-type cables (CAT5, CAT6...). Never messed with coax, although it seems it should be simpler since it's really only two conductors. I'd say to attach the end, just follow any of the several guides online. Youtube has quite a few itself. You'll have to cut the seared end - and possibly the knot - off to get a clean working end, but I can't imagine it's terribly complex. Only question would be the tool - CAT cables are nice cuz you have the crimping tool to simplify it. Dunno if there's a special tool for coax or not.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7SonyHoundDawgPosted 4/24/2014 4:50:08 PM
Sounds like the techs were slacking a bit the first time around. How do you know you have a weak signal from the cable? Did they tell you that? You should have them tried some other rooms right away. Anyways if you call and complain Im sure they'll give you another visit for free.
#8PsythikPosted 4/24/2014 4:50:16 PM
You can still extend the cable. Just cot off the seared end and use a female to female coaxial adapter to add as much wire as you need.

To be honest, though, you don't seem like you're capable of doing the work yourself without f***ing everything up. You don't have a geek friend you can call to help you out?
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#9WerdnAndreWPosted 4/24/2014 4:59:08 PM
I have used the twist coax connectors with success. Not as durable as crimp ons but they work. I don't know why they seared the end of the coax, just cut it off and strip a bit of the sheathing and insulation. Twist on connector, done.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#10ChetyrePosted 4/24/2014 5:16:09 PM
Coax is even easier to work with, since you don't have to worry about the order. But can't you just buy one? They are really cheap.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar