This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you "create" your own internet cable?

#11KillerTrufflePosted 4/24/2014 5:21:19 PM
Chetyre posted...
Coax is even easier to work with, since you don't have to worry about the order. But can't you just buy one? They are really cheap.

From the sound of it, he's talking about one that runs from the the cable box outside into his house - which will typically come out of the wall or floor near the baseboard. Those are not easy to just "buy and replace" considering it's wired directly to the cable outside, and would require access to the cable box outside, which is generally frowned upon by the cable companies.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 5:25:07 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Chetyre posted...
Coax is even easier to work with, since you don't have to worry about the order. But can't you just buy one? They are really cheap.

From the sound of it, he's talking about one that runs from the the cable box outside into his house - which will typically come out of the wall or floor near the baseboard. Those are not easy to just "buy and replace" considering it's wired directly to the cable outside, and would require access to the cable box outside, which is generally frowned upon by the cable companies.

Yeah, these were the ones that were already in the house. Im checking out guides now. Couldnt find them earlier because I was googling how to make cables haha. Used "crimp cables" and a bunch popped up!
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
#13SlaynPosted 4/24/2014 5:33:49 PM
Why would you need to crimp the cable? Isn't there an adapter to connect another cable together? A coupler?
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#14ChetyrePosted 4/24/2014 5:35:50 PM
Might be that the cable in the bedroom isn't terminated outside in that case. Here where I live, cable companies always bring their own cable which they'll run inside, even removing the cables left over by another company sometimes.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#15KillerTrufflePosted 4/24/2014 5:39:26 PM
Slayn posted...
Why would you need to crimp the cable? Isn't there an adapter to connect another cable together? A coupler?

The cable in his bedroom isn't terminated - it doesn't have a proper end on it. They do make female/female couplers, but those only work if you have the male ends on both cables you're connecting. And he doesn't want to connect the two cables anyway. He wants to try using the one in the bedroom.

It's a good point that the bedroom one may not actually be hooked up tho. If it was, you could technically have service in both the bedroom and living room simultaneously, and most cable companies make you pay an arm and a leg extra for something like that. That bedroom wire could just be left over from something previous, and may not be connected to anything.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#16XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 8:12:51 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Slayn posted...

The cable in his bedroom isn't terminated - it doesn't have a proper end on it. They do make female/female couplers, but those only work if you have the male ends on both cables you're connecting. And he doesn't want to connect the two cables anyway. He wants to try using the one in the bedroom.

It's a good point that the bedroom one may not actually be hooked up tho. If it was, you could technically have service in both the bedroom and living room simultaneously, and most cable companies make you pay an arm and a leg extra for something like that. That bedroom wire could just be left over from something previous, and may not be connected to anything.

Damn i wish I read this before I wasted 3 hours :(. So I made the most perfect stripped wire and connected a RG6 head connecter to the end. I connected everythign and... no signal. I call up Comcast and youre right, they only allow one connection per each house. So I need to pay for another line and the techs would have to come out anyway GRRRRRHHAAAA! NERD RAGE!
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
Not the best but it's my first: i5-3570k(CPU) Memory 8GB (RAM) Radeon HD 7970 (GPU) Rosewell 650 (PSU) 120GB King (SSD) Asus VN247HP 1ms
#17WerdnAndreWPosted 4/24/2014 8:21:49 PM(edited)
Buy a splitter at RadioShack and do it yourself. Hopefully that new line leads next to the cable entrace so all you need to do is hookup the splitter.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#18zerodefectPosted 4/24/2014 8:33:06 PM
WerdnAndreW posted...
Buy a splitter at RadioShack and do it yourself. Hopefully that new line leads next to the cable entrace so all you need to do is hookup the splitter.

Don't put a splitter on a line going to a cable modem. You'd just be asking for trouble. An unterminated splitter could play havoc with the RF signal (reflection, ingress, attenuation, etc.)
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#19drinkPosted 4/24/2014 8:57:24 PM
Just pay the cable guy to do it. This way if something goes wrong, your covered.

zerodefect posted...
WerdnAndreW posted...

Don't put a splitter on a line going to a cable modem. You'd just be asking for trouble. An unterminated splitter could play havoc with the RF signal (reflection, ingress, attenuation, etc.)

Unless a house more than one line, which most dont, a splitter is needed unless you dont have any cable boxes
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#20WerdnAndreWPosted 4/24/2014 9:12:12 PM
A splitter is fine... How do you think the cable company does it? To do multiple runs, use a 2 way splitter first. One goes to the modem and the other hooks up to another splitter which connects to multiple cable boxes.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q