This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I gut or upgrade my PC?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I gut or upgrade my PC?
1 year ago#1
So I have been out of the computer parts game for quite a while so I don't really know what's good, bad, and terrible anymore. I'm either going to upgrade a few components or salvage a few parts and start fresh. Here's what I have:

CPU: AMD X2 64 bit 6400+ Windsor (socket AM2)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 2600 Pro video card (512 mb)
RAM: 4GB 6400 800 Mhz (Mobo max ram 8GB)
Mobo: Asus M2N-E

Very good PSU and case. Optical drive is sufficient. HDD is sufficient.

I definitely need a new GPU. So I guess the main question is whether the CPU can still play decent games. I guess my current main ambition would be to play Dark Souls II. If I am buying new mobo/cpu/ram combo, I would want to be able run all modern games. Is it worth trying to salvage any of the parts with the existing mobo, or should I get a new mobo/processor/ram.

If you want, feel free to recommend a mobo/cpu/ram combo. I'd be looking to spend no more than $400 on it.
"them memory is xbox hard down the framerate"
1 year ago#2
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
1 year ago#3
Keep the drives, psu and case, change everything else.
Mystery is the source of all true science.
1 year ago#4
If you aren't planning on overclocking you can get an i5 4570 and an H87 motherboard for about 280 and then get a 65 dollar set of 2x4GB 1600MHz ram
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
1 year ago#5
Definitely gut. You could spend that $400 on a top-tier GPU and get maybe another year of gaming out of that PC but at this point it's best to hang on to that $400, save another $400-600, then build a new rig.
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
1 year ago#6
Which PSU and case in particular? If the drives are SATA, take those to a new build. AM2 and DDR2 are deader than dead and I'm pretty sure modern integrated graphics are superior to the 2600.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Should I gut or upgrade my PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived