This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting stuff off an external

#1Morph33nPosted 4/24/2014 9:25:12 AM
First off...I dunno if the HDD is dead or not but will not connect while in the enclosure. I removed it and threw it in my PC and windows wants me to format before I can use it. Using Recuva gives the same message. I used another program that starts with a 'P' (not home at the moment) and it allowed me to see that there is stuff on there but its all set up as '0001.avi' and such. Is there any program that will let me actually view the files? I know they are there but they aren't labeled for s***. I have tons of pictures of my daughter I'd hate to lose.
---
Steam ID: _morpheen
#2Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 9:26:19 AM
Also...I know the files work as I recovered a couple as a test and Space Ghost Coast to Coast turned on.
---
#3SinisterSlayPosted 4/24/2014 9:27:37 AM(edited)
You can try a livecd linux distro (knoppix used to be my favorite as it had tools for this sort of thing on the live CD ready to go)
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 9:28:57 AM
I'll give that a shot when I get home. Another problem I'm going to encounter is I have 1.7 terabytes of stuff and not enough space between my other HDDs to transfer all of it. Oh lawd.
---
#5SinisterSlayPosted 4/24/2014 9:30:54 AM
Morph33n posted...
I'll give that a shot when I get home. Another problem I'm going to encounter is I have 1.7 terabytes of stuff and not enough space between my other HDDs to transfer all of it. Oh lawd.

You can by another portable drive and transfer to that.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 9:33:18 AM
Sadly I may have to. I cannot lose this pictures and videos if at all possible. I have officially learned my lesson on having more than one backup. Hopefully its just the SATA to USB connector that crapped out. Gunna try to snag one from a buddy.
---
#7El MagnificoPosted 4/24/2014 9:44:36 AM
You can try Test Disk. It has tools that can try to recover a partition.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

If Test Disk doesn't work, then you can try PhotoRec to recover the files.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

#8deadlyforcemanPosted 4/24/2014 1:14:38 PM
Easeus makes a recovery program that worked flawlessly for this exact situation.

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/

Kind of pricy at $70 but depending on the size of the drive and what was on it - it was worth it for me.

There are free options but they cap really small (like 2GB for Easeus).

And yes, as mentioned earlier you're going to want another 2TB (external works fine) to hold the transferred data. Even if you return it after you use it for this purpose, it's really the only way to do this.
---
Member of the WWEGSB Mafia
DSM for life...'95 GSX - 9.381 at 153mph
#9Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 2:48:06 PM
I didn't even think of returning a drive after using it. That may be my course of action.
---
#10Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2014 10:13:09 AM
Well I tried Ubuntu and the drive doesn't even show up. Test disk is running right now on a deep scan as the quick scan didn't find much. I may be SOL.
---