This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What brand of laptop would you choose MSI or Asus?

#1hp_of_legendPosted 4/24/2014 12:56:33 PM
Looking to buy a new gaming laptop and I can't decided between a MSI or an Asus laptop.

Would like to hear what everyone has to say about them both good and bad.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
3DS FC 3668-8552-6912 IGN Adam
#2CELTEKKPosted 4/24/2014 12:57:13 PM
i had an asus laptop. it died. they gave me a new and better laptop. its still alive after 6 years.
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
3770k@4.8
#3PsythikPosted 4/24/2014 1:01:18 PM
ASUS. It's not even a competition.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#4PsyborgasmPosted 4/24/2014 1:03:57 PM
I just got the MSi GE70 Apache Pro and it runs great. I have never owned an Asus. My friend in the industry highly recommended MSi, though.
#5SnadadosPosted 4/24/2014 1:10:01 PM
[ ] Laptop.
[ ] Gaming.
[ ] Sex.

Pick two.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#6pipebomb__sushiPosted 4/24/2014 1:11:59 PM
I am currently on an ASUS but I don't think I'm qualified to speak on it considering this was a cheap laptop purchased on black friday. I personally think it's crap. However, I think every laptop is crap with the exception of Macs. They set the standard that no other manufacturer can top at least in my opinion.
---
#pipebomb__sushi
http://i.imgur.com/C57Xo.gif
#7hp_of_legend(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 1:12:42 PM
Psyborgasm posted...
I just got the MSi GE70 Apache Pro and it runs great. I have never owned an Asus. My friend in the industry highly recommended MSi, though.

I was just looking at the Apache Pro. Did you install a SSD? If so did it void the warranty?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
3DS FC 3668-8552-6912 IGN Adam
#8PsyborgasmPosted 4/24/2014 2:08:57 PM
hp_of_legend posted...
Psyborgasm posted...

I was just looking at the Apache Pro. Did you install a SSD? If so did it void the warranty?

I put in a 250GB Samsun Evo. I believe it did void the warranty. I just didnt see any laptops that were a good deal with SSD already in it.
#9_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 4/25/2014 8:23:33 AM
Look at how many years warranty you have, and if you can find anything about their respective customer service. Additionally, try to make sure the model you want to buy does not have any common recurring problems or design flaws.

When it comes to general reliability, outside of obvious design flaws the differences in failure rates in notebooks are minimal. This has been tested several times, and is true for a lot of consumer electronics that is made out of largely the same parts and the same materials (LG Screen, Hitachi HDD, Intel processor etc.). It is also usually a lot more reliable to gain information about a specific model than for a brand in general. Even well respected brands have made some bizarre failures in the past.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | AKG k550 | Samsung S24A350H
#10RPG_ApostlePosted 4/25/2014 10:28:33 AM
I've had a MSI GT660 for about 4 years now.

The power under the hood is amazing. Runs everything I throw at it with no issue.

But the first one NewEgg sent me was DOA. The power jack port stopped receiving a charge, had to be repaired TWICE and it's starting to do it again. Customer support was very aggrivating to deal with. So much so that I honestly can't recommend MSI, because what's the point of having it run well if it's tough to get it to actually run, right?
---
SunDevil77 posted...
Taking teeth and biting Johnson.