This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Major cons of installing Origin?

#1BlueswordsXPosted 4/24/2014 1:47:37 PM
So the Deadspace freebie is enticing me, but all over the net many people say terrible things about Origin, far worse than they say about Steam. Some say that even freebies like this "aren't worth the cost of installing Origin". Does Origin steal bandwidth or install any spyware? Is it a ploy to scan your computer for any pirated content and screw you over for it, even if you buy most of your games?
---
Touhou is love. Welcome to Gensokyo!
#2Orestes417Posted 4/24/2014 1:48:36 PM
The major con is the halfwits who run around whining about it may shun you.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#3BigB0ss13Posted 4/24/2014 1:48:50 PM
The only negative thing is it's by EA and they never have good sales
#4AirTeasePosted 4/24/2014 1:49:48 PM
In my experience Origin has been pretty great. Actually better than Steam in some ways.

Worth it for free Dead Space.
#5KnifegashPosted 4/24/2014 1:50:19 PM
'' Is it a ploy to scan your computer for any pirated content and screw you over for it, even if you buy most of your games?''

I've seen evidence that Origin does in fact do this, though I can't say if the practice continues now.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#6HaganPosted 4/24/2014 1:50:54 PM
nothing is wrong with origin, people b**** about it because they don't want two separate game libraries. Also, it is inferior to Steam in just about every imaginable fashion.

There is not reason not to install it and grab dead space.
---
XBL GT= illidan z PSN = HaganJR
Steam = mhagan1986 Origin = HaganJR
#7Bmvc1Posted 4/24/2014 1:51:25 PM
They just hate it because it's not steam. Yes, it's nowhere as good as Steam, but there is nothing malicious about Origin.
#8BigAl519Posted 4/24/2014 1:52:06 PM
Knifegash posted...
'' Is it a ploy to scan your computer for any pirated content and screw you over for it, even if you buy most of your games?''

I've seen evidence that Origin does in fact do this, though I can't say if the practice continues now.

I've seen evidence of Sasquatch, though I cannot provide proof and not sure if he is still kicking.
---
Everyone run for cover! The durpocalypse has begun!
#9-SocksForWok-Posted 4/24/2014 1:52:31 PM
There's no more risk than installing steam
---
MSI GTX780Ti 3GB 384bit GDDR5 - Wii U - PS3 - Xbox360 - 3DS - Vita - iPhone 5 - Galaxy Note 3 - Nvidia Shield
Unbiased Gamer
#10TruePowerSeekerPosted 4/24/2014 1:53:11 PM
None really it is just another client to install. To be honest I don't have origin but that is mostly due to me not really playing a lot of EA games due to them just not appealing to me.

I don't play Battlefield, I don't want to play Titanfall, Dragon Age never caught my fancy, Sims never really was my thing, Dead Space is fun but I don't like horror games, and I might download it for Crysis but I have such a large steam backlog I don't want to add even more games to it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alX4leh13s8