This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My work is offering two choices for a laptop

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My work is offering two choices for a laptop
1 year ago#21
I'd take the Elitebook personally.
---
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
1 year ago#22
r0ge00 posted...
Dorami posted...
Yoga: lighter, convertible, better key feel

Elitebook: more powerful, easier to maintain, saner key layout, better trackpoint, matte screen

Personally, I'd go with the Elitebook.

What's more powerful? The specs are pretty much exactly the same from what I can see.

The RAM in the Elitebook is dual channel SODIMM. The RAM in the Thinkpad is single channel soldered. Aside from being non-expandable, the single channel configuration is usually blamed for why the X240 is weaker than other laptops with the same CPU.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
1 year ago#23
I was going to say the Thinkpad until I saw that it was 12.5". That's pretty small, 14" seems like a much more comfortable size.
1 year ago#24
i would never buy an HP laptop but if this is paid for and tech supported by your work if it breaks I'd actually go with the HP
---
"Some people are just dumb"
1 year ago#25
I have zero experience with that particular ThinkPad but my office has started using that HP EliteBook 840 G1, and it's a very sleek laptop, I endorse it. It's built like an EliteBook, which means well, and it's upgradable (RAM and HDD). I don't know if the ThinkPad Yoga provides connectivity for a proper docking station (i.e. not some USB replicator piece of junk) but if not, that would be another selling point for the EliteBook. The corporate IT user in me likes to have a proper NIC so that's another reason to go for the EliteBook, for me.
I really don't see the appeal in having a 1920x1080 resolution on a 12" screen when Windows isn't really built to take advantage of high-ish PPI, yes you can mess with the DPI setting but that can mess with the way some things look (in a not-good way), whereas I think 1600x900 is just right on the EliteBook's 14" screen.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
1 year ago#26
Both laptops are very similar spec wise. The major difference is the screen. I personally would go for the Elitebook since it has a 14 inch screen.
---
Currently Playing: Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dark Souls 2 and Resident Evil Remake.
1 year ago#27
I wish I had either of those laptops for my work.

They give us an i3 with 4GB ram.

At the very least this is what I have open at any given time
A Browser open with 3 tabs
Microsoft Word Document
At least 2 Excel Spreadsheets
At least 1 MapPoint map
Outlook (Where the application file is at least 30GB)

And often we need more open: 3 more tabs, another spreadsheet, a few emails, maybe a second browser (Like Chrome and IE at the same time), another map...something else.

I would kill for an I5 and 8GB of ram.
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
1 year ago#28
Build quality and power seem to favour the Elitebook. But keep in mind I have my computer hooked up to two 20 inch monitors during the day at the office so screen size isn't really an issue.
1 year ago#29
Chaap posted...
i would never buy an HP laptop but if this is paid for and tech supported by your work if it breaks I'd actually go with the HP

I don't think you've ever used an Elitebook.
1 year ago#30
Big_Boss_Mou posted...
Build quality and power seem to favour the Elitebook. But keep in mind I have my computer hooked up to two 20 inch monitors during the day at the office so screen size isn't really an issue.

Then you should make sure either laptop supports dual external monitors as that may help you make a choice. You might need a docking station.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My work is offering two choices for a laptop

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived