This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My work is offering two choices for a laptop

#31ChaapPosted 4/25/2014 12:50:08 PM
r0ge00 posted...
Chaap posted...
i would never buy an HP laptop but if this is paid for and tech supported by your work if it breaks I'd actually go with the HP

I don't think you've ever used an Elitebook.

i have not. are they nice?
---
"Some people are just dumb"
#32Big_Boss_Mou(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2014 12:56:39 PM
Shub posted...
Big_Boss_Mou posted...
Build quality and power seem to favour the Elitebook. But keep in mind I have my computer hooked up to two 20 inch monitors during the day at the office so screen size isn't really an issue.

Then you should make sure either laptop supports dual external monitors as that may help you make a choice. You might need a docking station.

My current setup includes a vga and usb-vga adapter, resulting in two vga connections (albeit a crappy one on the screen that has the adapter). Why wouldn't these new ones support dual monitors?
#33DoramiPosted 4/25/2014 1:04:29 PM(edited)
The TPY has only a mini-hdmi port, which I believe can't daisy chain to multiple monitors.

The Elitebook can either daisy chain to 2 monitors through the DP or use DP and VGA. DP can convert to DVI and HDMI with no loss of quality (in most cases).

Either one can drive 2 external monitors, but it's easier on the Elitebook. The VGA port also makes it easier to connect to legacy equipment like projectors.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#34Big_Boss_Mou(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2014 1:06:52 PM(edited)
Dorami posted...
The TPY has only a mini-hdmi port, which I believe can't daisy chain to multiple monitors.

The Elitebook can either daisy chain to 2 monitors through the DP or use DP and VGA. DP can convert to DVI and HDMI with no loss of quality (in most cases).

Either one can drive 2 external monitors, but it's easier on the Elitebook. The VGA port also makes it easier to connect to legacy equipment like projectors.

What if I use the VGA dongle for one screen and keep the same usb-vga adapter I have now for the second screen? Does that work?

Edit: Assuming I choose the TPY
#35r0ge00Posted 4/25/2014 1:06:46 PM
Chaap posted...
i have not. are they nice?

As far as business class laptops go, they're right up there with Thinkpads and the like.
#36DoramiPosted 4/25/2014 1:13:02 PM
I think the first question is: What kind of ports do your monitors have?
---
#37TheWayOfTheGunPosted 4/25/2014 2:10:41 PM
Lenovo is solid hardware, I love my Y580.

Sucks that your work is cheap. I was able to get a Macbook Pro. Extremely overpriced but sweet as hell.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#38Big_Boss_Mou(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2014 3:00:30 PM
Dorami posted...
I think the first question is: What kind of ports do your monitors have?

Just VGA
#39DoramiPosted 4/25/2014 5:03:47 PM
The TPY doesn't have a VGA port, so you'd need to get a second USB adapter (taking up both USB ports) or an active HDMI to VGA adapter. The Elitebook has a VGA port, so you can keep your current setup (though you might want to look into upgrading a monitor).
---
#40Big_Boss_Mou(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2014 3:18:40 PM
I went with the Thnkpad, should be given to me this summer. They'll provide me with a mini hdmi to VGA adapter and a USB hub so I think I'll be happy. Thanks for the input.