This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

play Doom or skip straight to Brutal Doom?

#1imasexywomanPosted 4/25/2014 8:15:30 AM
Does Brutal Doom still have the same delicious level design? And does it have more modern controls? I remember what little I've played of the original Doom didn't have a way to use the mouse. I know there are other mods to address this but does Brutal Doom have a solution built in? And do fanmade levels work with it?
---
It is the end times for console gaming. All hail PC and 3DS.
#2MaDHatPosted 4/25/2014 8:25:58 AM(edited)
Download GZDoom
Download Brutal Doom
Extract both files to the same directory
Put doom wad files in this directory
Edit the GZdoom ini file to always load the brutal doom files

Now all you have to do is drag and drop any wad file you want to play onto GZDoom and it'll work with brutal doom. There are tutorials all over the place. And yes, it has modern controls with mouse look and such.
#3ThePCElitistPosted 4/25/2014 8:25:37 AM
You can mod doom to have proper mouse and keyboard controls. You can even use OpenGL extensions that improve the visuals and run at higher resolution.
---
When I'm Miq'ote
http://youtu.be/h3LGf9SSWrU
#4jake-sfPosted 4/25/2014 9:33:50 AM
Everytime I hear brutal doom I want to punch people. The reputation it got to replace the original and completely butcher everything about its gameplay just for the sake of it. No, I don't even enjoy Brutal Doom.

Yes, its the same levels. GZDoom has full modern control support and resolution and etc.

You don't play Brutal Doom.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#5imasexywoman(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2014 9:58:27 AM
Right. So GZDoom is all I need?
---
It is the end times for console gaming. All hail PC and 3DS.
#6EternalWolfPosted 4/25/2014 9:59:35 AM
jake-sf posted...
Everytime I hear brutal doom I want to punch people. The reputation it got to replace the original and completely butcher everything about its gameplay just for the sake of it. No, I don't even enjoy Brutal Doom.

Yes, its the same levels. GZDoom has full modern control support and resolution and etc.

You don't play Brutal Doom.

I still play DOOM a ton but still havent really bothered with Brutal DOOM for more than a few minutes. However, the quality of the work is far beyond anything released in the community and that has to be appreciated greatly by any fan IMO. The faithful sprites and graphic details added are just amazing, even if all of it is completely unnecessary. Other mods have completely changed the genre, from Tower Defense, to Resident Evil Mercs to Donkey Kong Country but none of them have added this much "authentic" content this quick.

Also, this map is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Ja7a9ULQs
#7LvthnPosted 4/25/2014 10:02:46 AM
I like Brutal Doom but it's probably much more worthwhile if you've been playing Doom for a long time.
#8EternalWolfPosted 4/25/2014 10:03:35 AM
imasexywoman posted...
Right. So GZDoom is all I need?

Yes, also check out Wolfenstein 3d TC by Afadoomer... and DOOM 64 EX... and Reinchards amazing, near perfect but incomplete HD texture pack... and smoother weapon animations... and sprite fixing projects.. and... and... and...

doomworld.com forums is your friend.
#9EternalWolfPosted 4/25/2014 10:07:46 AM
Lvthn posted...
I like Brutal Doom but it's probably much more worthwhile if you've been playing Doom for a long time.

I've been playing since shareware was released and still dont bother with it, dont know why really. I just keep tabs on his work and videos, waiting to see something done that shouldnt be possible.

Really I think it would appeal more to the younger gamers that didnt grow up with DOOM and dont want to "waste time" on an old game when they could be playing Call of Duty, which is just trash in design comparison.
#10EternalWolfPosted 4/25/2014 10:16:01 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/download/eg1mo6404u5xlg6/PostProcessingEffectsForGZDoom+and+Zandronum+engines.zip

I dont know if this has been incorporated into GZDoom yet but this should give you a visual boost as well.